Setting up for Jacques (baby Mississippi mud)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
My current question is about monitoring water quality. In keeping FISH, I know that it is imperative to keep track of nitrates, nitrites and ammonia, but that's because the fish breathe the water and are highly sensitive to those toxins. Since turtles breathe air and hold their breath under water, do I need to monitor those 3 toxins as closely as for fish?
I know that pH is important, and expect to keep an eye on that.
Also, our tap water has chlorine in it. With fish I obviously had to treat the water to removed the chlorine. A neighbor told me that if you leave tap water in a bucket sitting out overnight, the chlorine all evaporates out. Does anyone know if this is true? Is chlorine even an issue for turtles?
Thanks! :p

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Chlorine WILL go away in about 24 hours all by itself and your nitrate/nitrite and ammonia levels will come around as your filter media gets established. In the meantime, water changes of maybe 40% will work just fine. You'll need to have some biological matter in the water to get things going.
Some people use goldfish to cycle the tank for about 2 months first. I'll bet your turtle will be fine.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
As mentioned above Chlorine in standing water will dissipate. However here in San Diego the water district used some chemical derivative of chlorine that doesn't just go away with a little time. Chloramine I think. Anyway we have to use a chemical treatment of our water to render it safe for aquariums.
I don't know if this is a issue for turtles or not. I also have no idea what your water district treats its water with.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Keepergale is correct.
The Chlorine remover that I use for my fish tanks says it removes Chlorine and Chloramine.
If you buy the tiny bottles, you'll go broke. I get the gallon jugs and it's MUCH cheaper in the end. A gallon last me well over a year and I treat thousands of gallons.
I use the remover because I fill my tanks right from the tap. (HOSE) I must remove the chlorine quickly.