Setting up for Sulcata hatchling-baby

Link

Location (City and/or State)
East-Central Oklahoma
I copied this from my intro on the introduction page (Pending Tortoise Parent)
Oh and I picked up the infrared temp gun today.
Works great and drove the kitten crazy chasing the red bug.

Here are some pics so far.
I still don't have the Sulcata yet as I am still setting up.

Indoor enclosure:
Awaiting my probe humid and temp meter set up this week. Also grow light and shorter heater bulb and basking bulb set up.
The center bar is completely movable and adjustable.
Right now testing the heat and humidity levels.... well lets just say it can rain inside the pen. :)
Put a cold glass of water on top of glass table and underneath condenses and starts raining.
The temp control device works well and is not constantly on.
I sealed the top with insulated door jab inserts so when closed it is fairly sealed.
The sub-strait is coco chor.
The uvb light is across the back and there is moss under the tee-kee hut hide.
This table is approximately 2'Lx2'Wx1.5'H.
I took a metal glass table and used 3/4 plywood to build the box inside it and added superstructure to hing the top. I slotted the front and added plexi-glass and lined the bottom and sides.
This is in a highly visible location and will not be ignored or forgotten in a back room.

Outdoor enclosure:
This is of course a small chicken coop. I installed a solid floor and raised it off the ground due to heavy rains here and predators. This location receives sun coming and going, but allows plenty of shaded area and is approximately 3'Wx7'Lx5'H. The old chickens nesting area is perfect for storing pen products and such. I will build a box in the bottom the entire length that can slide out the front for care and access. Live plants in planters will be included.
This is a secure set up as we have a bunch of possible predators ( eagles, hawks, raccoons, skunks, snakes, coyotes, bobcats, cougars, etc...)

Thanks for all your help so far.
Dale
Attached Files:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looking good. Do your day and night dry runs of temp and humidity and do any adjusting before your shelled one shows up. Much easier doing it all ahead of time.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Looking great. I wish I had had the forethought to read up here and set up my enclosure before I ordered the buggers but we can't all be geniuses!
My olny question would be...what is the temp directly under the CHE(after it's been on an hour)? It looks too low to the ground....

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
The heat emitter is actually still above the ground 8 inches and I mentioned I am replacing with a short heat emitter bulb and it can be raised/moved that should be in today :).
The temps stay at 86-87 and the humidity is in the high 80s with no problem. I also have the basking lamp to add in today. I had another one that was just to big and ugly. It will be used in the outdoor area I'm sure :)
I am amazed at how much moisture that coco stuff absorbs!! It is amazing thanks for the idea everyone :)
Strange question would the tortoise mind having the shell sprayed as I moisten the enclosure or should I avoid hitting him?

Now if only someone HINT>>>>HINT would make a baby tortoise bath video..I would not feel like I am drowning mine when I get one :(

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
Added the lamp and areas run between 85-89 with 80% humidity reading. Basking spot runs at 95-105. An added my new baby Sulcata (Casper) on 5/11/2017. Pics as soon as I remember to bring the memory card in and download it.

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
I really need to take some pics of the outdoor enclosure. I planted tortoise seed mix and it is looking great. It allows me to put Casper out for short periods and not worry about him. Totally enclosed so no worries.