Setting up new closed chamber.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I started setting up a new closed chamber for my Leo's. I have it set up without lamps or substrate. I'm wondering if I'm going to need heat cords to help keep the substrate warmer. Can anyone recommend brands that won't break the bank? I'm having my doubts that lamps alone will keep the substrate warm enough. It's a much bigger enclosure and I'd rather there be some subtle heat from below than more bright above the carapace heat. I'm also going to be using an ultrasonic humidifier in this enclosure for added humidity. Here are some assembly pictures.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404335040.947815.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404335058.329495.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404335071.146065.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404335080.946955.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404335103.862697.jpg

Elohi(Earth)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
You seem to have forgotten to put the link up to where one can buy these things? :)

My 5 x 4 closed chamber stays warm enough with a 60 watt CHE and a fan driven heater I got for $15 at Wal-Mart. The temps do not go down by more than 3 - 4 degrees when the lights go out at night.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
You seem to have forgotten to put the link up to where one can buy these things? :)

My 5 x 4 closed chamber stays warm enough with a 60 watt CHE and a fan driven heater I got for $15 at Wal-Mart. The temps do not go down by more than 3 - 4 degrees when the lights go out at night.

Here is the link.
Lifetime Raised Garden Bed Kit, # 60053 by Lifetime http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055FSKPW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I guess I can get some substrate in it and the lamps and see how well it holds heat and humidity. I know I will need to tape the tent to the enclosure to seal it. It's really well made. I'm surprised at the quality for the price.
And I love that when the Leo's are done with this, it easily comes apart and can be stored or put outside and used for it's intended purpose. lol.

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
And LOL. I grossly underestimated how much substrate I was going to need. WHOOPS! Back to the store I go.

Elohi(Earth)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW! ! ! !

This is way cool. Very nice idea. Very nice. I learn something new everyday here in the forum.

Flipper

MO, USA
Wow! That's fantastic! I LOVE this set up! :thumbsUp:

Please keep updating this thread so I can steal your ideas! Again! LOL!

Btw, I'm sorry I can't help with your question but I'm interested in the answer :)

Jerry520

Beautiful and convenient. Just wondering if it concludes the bottom and the waterproof pad?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Beautiful and convenient. Just wondering if it concludes the bottom and the waterproof pad?

It doesn't include a bottom. I already had the foam mats ($20 from costco) and I had to buy a heavy duty shower curtain ($9) from Walmart to line the lower section. I bought a pond liner but it was overkill for non burrowing torts so I took it back and spent the $40 towards a crane humidifier. (Which was $55 at target)

I just got back home with more coco coir bricks to get this thing filled up tonight.

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Tomorrow morning I will put the little torts outside in their sunshine pen and take the good stuff from their old enclosure, and their domes, and move them over to the new enclosure and get it set up while they are outside. I forgot to get black duck tape so I'll have to go get some of that to seal the tent top to the body of the enclosure.

Elohi(Earth)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I love this idea. I don't think you will need the added under the substrate heat. With a CHE and a MVB or two CHE's it should be fine. I would set it up and test it out first before spending the extra money on the substrate heater.
Good job to both you and shadowrancher

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I've got some substrate in it. I have 4 more bricks that I may add tomorrow I added about a 1/4 bag of topsoil then noticed it's got cow manure in the topsoil. Dammit. I'm glad I didn't add anymore than that but it still irritated me that I didn't catch it before I mixed it in. It doesn't smell like manure so I assume that means it's composted or very broken down and no longer full of funky bacteria? It just smells like dirt. Not that a tort would pass up a pile of cow poop if they were to happen upon some LOL.
Thoughts?

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Oh and I put the tent on and two lights up to keep some heat in it over night.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404357318.312174.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404357345.910700.jpg

Elohi(Earth)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Pretty cool. You could use Peat moss. It's decomposed sphagnum moss and that's it. Almost same as coco coir but a big 50# brick of it is only like 12 bucks.

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I started setting up a new closed chamber for my Leo's. I have it set up without lamps or substrate. I'm wondering if I'm going to need heat cords to help keep the substrate warmer. Can anyone recommend brands that won't break the bank? I'm having my doubts that lamps alone will keep the substrate warm enough. It's a much bigger enclosure and I'd rather there be some subtle heat from below than more bright above the carapace heat. I'm also going to be using an ultrasonic humidifier in this enclosure for added humidity. Here are some assembly pictures.
View attachment 85900
View attachment 85901
View attachment 85902
View attachment 85903
View attachment 85904

Elohi(Earth)

is that tent made for that bed?