Sex my horsefield tortoise

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
No I just use the sun as warmth in his bath. I've got a 40w basking red bulb. I switched to aspen bedding, So the picture still is sharp hemp. I've got ZooMed ReptiBark coming tomorrow to do half snd half as it retains more moisture without moulding. I'm too scared to let her out in the house. She has Kale, rocket, baby leaf ect. Shredded carrot which isnt her favourite to be honest. She lives the complete food, but I don't. Treat only. She burrows into a big pile of meadow hay in the daytime. When not exploring. I have NEVER seen her drink, so the ramp dish has gone!
🤗In all the years I've had Sapphire I've only seen him actually drink from his very shallow water dish a couple of times. But I can't 🤣 watch him 24 hrs a day. That tells me he does. So I just change his drinking water every morning . It's available when his Highness decides He's thirsty.🐢

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
PS re my above comment "Torts with limited uvb could develop MBD." that isn't the only cause but is a big factor. Poor nutrition is another.

Last edited:

cpl1307

Lancashire
Sapphire is probably about 22 years. He was probably about 4 or 5 when I got him in May of 2017. Sometime later he showed me exactly what gender he was 🙃🥴😁😁😁😁😁. and yes he's a Horsefield. It scared me half to death when I first saw the evidence of exactly what gender he was. I thought all his innards had fallen out until I realized he was like a horse in the field 🥴😁
So funny!! 😄 🤣 😂 😆

cpl1307

Lancashire
Red bulbs aren't good because torts can see in colour and the red confuses and encourages them to eat things they shouldn't - the caresheets will tell you exactly what you need, but a uvb source is a necessity for digestion, growth and bone health. Torts with limited uvb could develop MBD. In the summer when supervised outdoor time is possible they aren't needed quite so much but for the colder months when they can't go out they essential for torts that don't hibernate. Many of us use the T5 HO tube kits - I like Arcadia as a reliable brand. Avoid any coiled or cfl type bulbs as there is a risk they can damage eyes and the all one MVB types have been found to dry and damage shells as well as needing to be replaced more often when the uvb output fades. It's all explained in those 2 caresheets linked above and if you follow those they will save you a lot of money in equipment and vet fees.

Hay is too dry and could be a fire hazard. I can't see a hide in the pictures but a dark plastic upturned tub big enough for him to turn around in with a door cut in it would be somewhere he could feel safe and sleep as well as retaining humidity from the substrate.

Good idea to get rid of the steep water dish which is a tipping/drowning hazard but even though you may not see him drink they should have access to fresh water daily. A cheap terracotta plant saucer big enough for him to lie in and sunk level with the substrate will be safer and easier for him to access and exit when he wants to self soak. You could also use one for his food to make it easier for him to get to it.

When choosing substrate it shouldn't be sandy or have white bits in it as that could cause impaction in the gut if ingested. Coco coir with a layer of fine orchid bark on top is used by many.
2 hides. His hide is under basking bulb. Should I put it down the cool end?

Attachments

• 20230324_080006.jpg
    20230324_080006.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230324_075959.jpg
    20230324_075959.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 3
Wa
Thank you. I will change ut. Its never even been used. He doesn't go near it. When I say sun, I just mean the heat from the sun. He likes it. He gets his uv rays from his bulb. It's just to get him used to the big bright bulb in the sky producing warmth in his bath 😊
My tortoise came with the ramp dish and because they did like using it I converted it to a hay bed instead. They seem to really like napping in there now.

cpl1307

Lancashire
My tortoise came with the ramp dish and because they did like using it I converted it to a hay bed instead. They seem to really like napping in there now.
Such a good idea! It's out of commission now after all the negative feedback, but I could convert it into a play pen!! Thank you ❤️

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Well, just because its no longer a flip-and-drown hazard doesn't mean its not a flip-and-suffocate hazard. Personally I would remove it for the floor space which is more important. you can always use it when they are older

cpl1307

Lancashire
🤗In all the years I've had Sapphire I've only seen him actually drink from his very shallow water dish a couple of times. But I can't 🤣 watch him 24 hrs a day. That tells me he does. So I just change his drinking water every morning . It's available when his Highness decides He's thirsty.🐢
Took advice and after a year and taking the ramp water dish away and put in a small one, I've just seen him have a really big drink! It's like a daddy proud moment

cpl1307

Lancashire
No I just use the sun as warmth in his bath. I've got a 40w basking red bulb. I switched to aspen bedding, So the picture still is sharp hemp. I've got ZooMed ReptiBark coming tomorrow to do half snd half as it retains more moisture without moulding. I'm too scared to let her out in the house. She has Kale, rocket, baby leaf ect. Shredded carrot which isnt her favourite to be honest. She lives the complete food, but I don't. Treat only. She burrows into a big pile of meadow hay in the daytime. When not exploring. I have NEVER seen her drink, so the ramp dish has gone!
Took advice and after a year and taking the ramp water dish away and put in a small one, I've just seen him have a really big drink! It's like a daddy proud moment

cpl1307

Lancashire
I changed to a smaller dish and now twice see him have a drink! I Was one of my highlights of the yeah. I think the ramp dish was too big

cpl1307

Lancashire
Such a cute tortoise.

I use ZooMed EcoEarth substrate or ZooMed ReptiBark substrate for my inside baby tortoises. These two substrates can be kept damp to add humidity to the enclosure which promotes smooth shell growth. The substrate that you are presently using cannot have water added to it as it will cause mold.
Took your advice. He loves it

Attachments

• 20230328_171116.jpg
    20230328_171116.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230328_171106.jpg
    20230328_171106.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

LJL1982

UK
His eyes look slightly like they are suffering from vitamin A deficiency. I'm concerned you may not have a UVB light? It's absolutely non-negotiable...your tortoise will develop metabolic bone disease without one, and suffer from vitamin deficiencies as it won't be able to metabolise various nutrients without the correct levels of UVB.

You should try to obtain a Arcadia ProT5 kit as a minimum and then he will also need a basking light. A red one isn't really ideal at all. I would try for an Arcadia Floodlight type bulb which they sell in Pets at Home. You need 80w - 125w as a minimum, 40w is not appropriate.

You should be bathing him in water of about 50c and keeping it that temperature for 20 mins, bathing daily at that age...you don't need to worry about sun for bathing, he needs warm water. Change the water if he defecates in it or it cools.

The water tray you are using sees tortoises flip and drown in them. Try using a sloping side terracotta saucer instead. If you bathe daily you shouldn't need to leave water out.

You need to ensure no dog access at all to your tortoise, indoors or out, it's just a matter of time and all of us who have been on here a while have seen the posts which say "I feel terrible, I didn't think it would happen and I'm trying not to hold it against my dog..."

Finally...substrate. switch to coir which you can buy in a brick for £3.50 in pets at home. Much less impaction risk. Just soak it in a washing up bowl and squeeze excess water out.

Young torts need humidity to not pyramid, so you can keep the coir damp...this is not a risk if temperature are adequate. I don't know how you are maintaining a basking spot temp of 35 with the bulb you have, and cooler end should still be warm centrally heated room temp, so around 22c.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
His eyes look slightly like they are suffering from vitamin A deficiency. I'm concerned you may not have a UVB light? It's absolutely non-negotiable...your tortoise will develop metabolic bone disease without one, and suffer from vitamin deficiencies as it won't be able to metabolise various nutrients without the correct levels of UVB.

You should try to obtain a Arcadia ProT5 kit as a minimum and then he will also need a basking light. A red one isn't really ideal at all. I would try for an Arcadia Floodlight type bulb which they sell in Pets at Home. You need 80w - 125w as a minimum, 40w is not appropriate.

You should be bathing him in water of about 50c and keeping it that temperature for 20 mins, bathing daily at that age...you don't need to worry about sun for bathing, he needs warm water. Change the water if he defecates in it or it cools.

The water tray you are using sees tortoises flip and drown in them. Try using a sloping side terracotta saucer instead. If you bathe daily you shouldn't need to leave water out.

You need to ensure no dog access at all to your tortoise, indoors or out, it's just a matter of time and all of us who have been on here a while have seen the posts which say "I feel terrible, I didn't think it would happen and I'm trying not to hold it against my dog..."

Finally...substrate. switch to coir which you can buy in a brick for £3.50 in pets at home. Much less impaction risk. Just soak it in a washing up bowl and squeeze excess water out.

Young torts need humidity to not pyramid, so you can keep the coir damp...this is not a risk if temperature are adequate. I don't know how you are maintaining a basking spot temp of 35 with the bulb you have, and cooler end should still be warm centrally heated room temp, so around 22c.

I hope that's a typo and you mean something closer to 30c

cpl1307

Lancashire

I use a uvb 12% 24w and uva floodlight. I use repto bark as substrate and a small shallow dish. When did you see my tortoises eyes?, I'm really confused. I've had over 6 members check and say all is good? Where have you got this information from? My lighting has all just be replaced after 6 months to be on the safe side? Are you sure your message is for me??

Attachments

• 20230328_171116.jpg
    20230328_171116.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230328_171106.jpg
    20230328_171106.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230326_180812.jpg
    20230326_180812.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230326_173237.jpg
    20230326_173237.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1

LJL1982

UK
I use a uvb 12% 24w and uva floodlight. I use repto bark as substrate and a small shallow dish. When did you see my tortoises eyes?, I'm really confused. I've had over 6 members check and say all is good? Where have you got this information from? My lighting has all just be replaced after 6 months to be on the safe side? Are you sure your message is for me??
Hi

I quoted your original post where you said you had a red 40w basking bulb.

You posted photos of your tortoise with his eyes showing clearly in several of them, in this thread.

I'm glad you have also got a strip light uvb, it wasnt clear on the post of yours from Thursday that i quoted, unless you have sourced it since, and nice to see the reptibark, I'm sure your tortoise will enjoy the improvements you have made 👍