Sexing a year old Sulcata

Tikki87

I'm thinking she is a girl..........what do you think?

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Most tortoises display female characteristics as babies. You won't really be able to tell for sure until your sulcata gets to be about 8 or 10" front to back (or until HE flashes you)

pete55

I had a pretty good idea when 2 of my hatchlings were just under 4 inches. A year later and they're around 8 to 9 inches and I'm becoming more convinced I'm right. I've found the young females tend to have upside down 'U' shape to the anal opening and that the anal scutes curve inwards.
Here's some comparison pictures. The pictures of them individually were taken a year ago. Hope that helps.

Sul Vent2.JPGSul Vent3.JPGIMG_1964.JPG

Tikki87

Is the one on the left the male? Or are these both pictures of females? My young sully has more of an upside down "v" shape.......her/his tail is really short too. It's so hard to tell at his/her size.........it's even harder to wait!!:) Thank you so much for posting:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yours is too small to tell. Usually you can tell by 3-4 years old.

Did you raise this one from a baby?
Where are you?

I'd love to know more about your housing and care routine. Your tortoise looks relatively smooth in your avatar pic, which is unusual for a tortoise raised on a dry substrate like rabbit pellets. I'd like to learn more about his history.