Sexing my Russian tortoise

MisterElrond

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, Ohio
When I got my Russian, Richard, the previous owner said they male. Since then I've been told by one vet that they thought they might be male but wasn't sure and by another vet that they were female. Based on posts I've seen about sexing tortoises I think they might be male, especially since they're supposedly 15 yo and only about 4.5" (though to be fair I'm not entirely sure when Russians stop growing and I can't really verify that age).

It's not really important to me either way, since I have no plan on breeding or changing their name. I'm just curious now and would like other's opinions. I tried to get a nice picture of the tail but Richard wasn't in the mood to hold still.

richard plastron.jpg rj1.jpg rj2.jpg rj3.jpg rj4.jpg rj5.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Even if you don't plan to breed, it is nice to know, just to know.
Well, I can understand the confusion, it is a small tail, but held to the side, I see the slit, so I am gonna say male. Esp. if he is as old aas you say he is, then he is prob. close to full grown. Don't tell him, I think he is an undersized male, I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings . :)

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
I say male too.... that anal vent is a slit, and although a small tail is more elongated so I would say male.

Joey

Tortoise Campbell

Males:
Longer tails than females
Flatter stomaches
Front claws tend to be longer
Female:
Bigger in size
Stubbier tail
Stomach curves out more
:tort: