sexing of my red foots?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexdeskjet

5 Year Member
i have two red foot one is 8" and the second is 5"
I would LOVE to know for sure what is?????

first: :tort:

this the second: :tort:

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
First let me begin by telling you that those are two FLAWLESS animals. Very pretty in all respects.
But they are both too small to accurately sex--especially the smaller 5 inch tortoise.
The larger tortoise appears to be a northern type red-foot so you should be able to sex it by the time it is 9 inches. Post another photo of it in September and it will be easier to say. Often young males will 'emerge' in a short period of time and you will find yourself saying, "Wow, 6 months ago I had no idea what sex this was but now it is obviously a male!" It sounds hard to believe but a juvenile male's tail will elongate and his plastron will develop a dent in as little as a few months. I have a hunch that the first one is a male even though right now it looks like a girl.
The smaller animal appears to be a cherryhead but is way too small to even guess at its sex.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Alex:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know where you are?

Alexdeskjet

5 Year Member
cdmay said:
First let me begin by telling you that those are two FLAWLESS animals. Very pretty in all respects.
But they are both too small to accurately sex--especially the smaller 5 inch tortoise.
The larger tortoise appears to be a northern type red-foot so you should be able to sex it by the time it is 9 inches. Post another photo of it in September and it will be easier to say. Often young males will 'emerge' in a short period of time and you will find yourself saying, "Wow, 6 months ago I had no idea what sex this was but now it is obviously a male!" It sounds hard to believe but a juvenile male's tail will elongate and his plastron will develop a dent in as little as a few months. I have a hunch that the first one is a male even though right now it looks like a girl.
The smaller animal appears to be a cherryhead but is way too small to even guess at its sex.

CDMAY THANKS FOR ALL I POST IN SEPTEMBER MORE PHOTO

emysemys said:
Hi Alex:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know where you are?

THANKS FOR ALL EMYSEMYS I HOPE U LIKE THE PHOTO.
I FROM PUERTO RICO
WHAT U THINK FEMALE OR MALE???

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
My "guess" would be male for the first one, and female for the second smaller one. Like Cdmay said though, that could easily change and redfoots are not always the easiest to sex.

pochito

5 Year Member
fort lauderdale
hola Alex, como ellos dicen el mas grande parece macho y la otra hembra. las tienes en PR? donde? estan preciosas

Alexdeskjet

5 Year Member
pochito said:
hola Alex, como ellos dicen el mas grande parece macho y la otra hembra. las tienes en PR? donde? estan preciosas

si soy de PR CAROLINA Y TU

QUE TORTUGAS TIENES?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Welcome, those are outstanding and beautiful young redfoots!

pochito

5 Year Member
fort lauderdale
Alexdeskjet said:
pochito said:

si soy de PR CAROLINA Y TU

QUE TORTUGAS TIENES?

de Mayaguez
tengo 6 red foots, 2 machos y 4 hembras, tambien 5 russians, 1 macho y 4 hembras. 8 huevos de red foot y 3 d russian en la incubadora. 7 culebras y un panther chameleon.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Your no fun Carl :p I agree with Carl and Jeff (though don't think it will change much soon :D), first one male and second one female.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.