Share pics of your enclosures xx

monsuuni

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi, I'm new to this forum,but just wanted to see what people's enclosures look like. I've had a tortoise before, who because of a move to England lives with my mom. She is happy 32 year horsfield and has never lived in enclosure, always free to roam inside the flat.
IMG_20200503_210701.jpgIMG_20200503_210653.jpgIMG_20200503_210644.jpg
As we got a new baby Herman's, we thought we better use enclosure and decided to built one, so here it is. Might have to expand it more once it grows and we also have outdoor enclosure for the sunny days.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
You’ll have to get rid of both of those lights ASAP, you’ll also need a “closed chamber”
Type of enclosure, to be able to keep warm and humid.

monsuuni

London
You’ll have to get rid of both of those lights ASAP, you’ll also need a “closed chamber”
Type of enclosure, to be able to keep warm and humid.
What is wrong with the UV light? It's 12% which I read should be good for it? It also has house upstairs that is constantly humid and warm, this is where it normally sleeps the nights.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I LOVE your enclosure! Sight barriers, space, multiple hides, and a second floor! You've built a palace.

But there are a few problem spots. The reason for the UV bulb you already have. That type can hurt tort eyes.
You should get a fluorescent tube style UVB fixture, and it ideally should aim straight down at the substrate.

The red bulb can be a problem too. Torts can see colors really well, and they love to eat flowers, especially red ones. So the red bulb makes his substrate look red, and he might eat it. That causes an impaction in his gut. Plus, you wouldn't like your world to be all red, right? Neither does he.

Instead, he should have a white light basking bulb. They also provide daytime heat.

At night, since his enclosure should be dark, a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) is used for heat, but no light. They screw into a regular bulb socket.

Do you provide humidity? Babies need high humidity, around 80% for most. That prevents kidney damage and pyramiding, so is very important. You pour some water into the substrate and mix it up real good with your hands.

Now, with heat and humidity needed, there is no way to keep it inside the enclosure without a lid. Your room isn't going to be 27degC with a humidity of 80%. You'd swelter. Also, all of your lights work best when they hang down straight, rather than sideways. While we're on lights, never trust the clamps to hold them. Many times clamps have failed, the light falls on the substrate, and there's a fire.
Check this out...

What you can do is this: get some PVC pipe and fittings, or some wood. Build a framework around your enclosure that is sturdy, and has a bar that is overhead. You'll hang your lights from the bar. Then take plastic, like a shower curtain, and drape it over the bar down to the bottom of the enclosure. You will keep in heat and humidity. I took these pics from another thread, but they give you the general idea of what I'm trying to explain.
enclosure covered d.jpgenclosure covered g.jpgenclosure covered h.jpg
Pics by Yvonne G

It would be best if you replaced your water and food dishes with terra cotta plant saucers. The ones you are using are dangerous because it is easy for the baby to flip upside down on his back and drown. Push the
saucers down into the substrate so they are even with the surface. Much easier for the tort to get in and out.

I have not told you all the proper temps because you can find everything you need to know in these care sheets. Read them over, and come back with all your questions. We'll be happy to explain why we say what we do.

monsuuni

London
I LOVE your enclosure! Sight barriers, space, multiple hides, and a second floor! You've built a palace.

But there are a few problem spots. The reason for the UV bulb you already have. That type can hurt tort eyes.
You should get a fluorescent tube style UVB fixture, and it ideally should aim straight down at the substrate.

The red bulb can be a problem too. Torts can see colors really well, and they love to eat flowers, especially red ones. So the red bulb makes his substrate look red, and he might eat it. That causes an impaction in his gut. Plus, you wouldn't like your world to be all red, right? Neither does he.

Instead, he should have a white light basking bulb. They also provide daytime heat.

At night, since his enclosure should be dark, a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) is used for heat, but no light. They screw into a regular bulb socket.

Do you provide humidity? Babies need high humidity, around 80% for most. That prevents kidney damage and pyramiding, so is very important. You pour some water into the substrate and mix it up real good with your hands.

Now, with heat and humidity needed, there is no way to keep it inside the enclosure without a lid. Your room isn't going to be 27degC with a humidity of 80%. You'd swelter. Also, all of your lights work best when they hang down straight, rather than sideways. While we're on lights, never trust the clamps to hold them. Many times clamps have failed, the light falls on the substrate, and there's a fire.
Check this out...

What you can do is this: get some PVC pipe and fittings, or some wood. Build a framework around your enclosure that is sturdy, and has a bar that is overhead. You'll hang your lights from the bar. Then take plastic, like a shower curtain, and drape it over the bar down to the bottom of the enclosure. You will keep in heat and humidity. I took these pics from another thread, but they give you the general idea of what I'm trying to explain.
View attachment 293325View attachment 293326View attachment 293327
Pics by Yvonne G

It would be best if you replaced your water and food dishes with terra cotta plant saucers. The ones you are using are dangerous because it is easy for the baby to flip upside down on his back and drown. Push the
saucers down into the substrate so they are even with the surface. Much easier for the tort to get in and out.

I have not told you all the proper temps because you can find everything you need to know in these care sheets. Read them over, and come back with all your questions. We'll be happy to explain why we say what we do.

Wow thanks for the in-depth reply!? We might have to look into getting some sort of "lid" for the enclosure as you said. The upstairs house has humidity of 80 and temp of around 27. Downstairs is obviously warmer especially under the basking light and humidity has been an issue there. You've given so many great tips! We have just ordered cheramic heatbulbs and also use heatmat upstairs. We will make something on top of the enclosure so the lights can hang from it and the humidity stays in like you said.
Thank you so much for all the wisdom xx I will have a look at the care sheets you posted. It's hard knowing what's right and wrong as everyone seems to have so many conflicting opinions so really appreciate your help xx

monsuuni

London
@monsuuni welcome to the forum! Karen's given you some great advice and did a great job explaining why the lighting needed to be updated.

I love the ramp and the upper area in the enclosure! It's nice to see more enclosures with ramps. :D
Thanks, wasn't first sure about the ramps, but Tint absolutely loves climbing them xx

KronksMom

Illinois
Be careful with heat mats. Tortoises, unlike other reptiles, get all their heat from above. They absorb it through the top of their shell, or they will stick their little arms and legs out (so cute!). If they do that on top of a heated mat, they can end up with burns, because they don't have the temperature receptors on their bottoms to realize they're too hot there.

KronksMom

Illinois
You asked to see other people's enclosures, so here is Kronk's Kastle. When I told my dad how much space Russian tortoises need, he was was like, "that's crazy, he's only 6 inches, how can he need 6 feet?" I told him about their needing to walk around a lot in order to digest their food, like horses. "And besides," I said, "he's a king, he deserves a castle." Well my dad took that little comment to the bank & built Kronk a figurative castle.IMG_20200504_144857.jpgIMG_20200504_144932.jpgIMG_20200504_144958.jpg

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I love it! I like the idea of the sawhorses to elevate the enclosure easily.

monsuuni

London
You asked to see other people's enclosures, so here is Kronk's Kastle. When I told my dad how much space Russian tortoises need, he was was like, "that's crazy, he's only 6 inches, how can he need 6 feet?" I told him about their needing to walk around a lot in order to digest their food, like horses. "And besides," I said, "he's a king, he deserves a castle." Well my dad took that little comment to the bank & built Kronk a figurative castle.View attachment 293414View attachment 293415View attachment 293416
Omg that is amazing! Definitely fit for a King! Xx

KronksMom

Illinois
I love it! I like the idea of the sawhorses to elevate the enclosure easily.
My dad actually just finished his second temporary stand. The final stand will have cabinets for all his stuff and built in shoe racks on one side and hooks on the outside along the other side. My dad was a cabinet maker for years when he was younger, and just recently retired, so he really enjoys building things like this. He doesn't do it quickly, but he really invests time into deciding what would be the absolute best way to put everything together, and he really enjoys the process. He is absolutely loving retirement.

monsuuni

London
My dad actually just finished his second temporary stand. The final stand will have cabinets for all his stuff and built in shoe racks on one side and hooks on the outside along the other side. My dad was a cabinet maker for years when he was younger, and just recently retired, so he really enjoys building things like this. He doesn't do it quickly, but he really invests time into deciding what would be the absolute best way to put everything together, and he really enjoys the process. He is absolutely loving retirement.
That sounds lovely! I'm sure he is enjoying it very much, hopefully get to see more pics of the enclosure once the second part is finished. My bf spent about 3 days building the enclosure and he also loved doing it, just not sure whether it was also to escape from his "household duties" ?

KronksMom

Illinois
I'm sure that's part of my dad's love as well. His entire basement in my parents' house is his workshop. Because they built their new house after they retired, he was able to completely design his own wood shop, to make it fit his own needs. He has electric wires and air hoses run all along the ceiling so that he can just pull cords down to any of the separate stations that he has, to clean anything or plug anything in super easily. My husband is an electrician, so while they were building the house, my dad had him out there for a couple weeks to move walls and put in special wiring for all his special equipment and all kinds of stuff that goes over my head. But the men absolutely love it. Everyone is blown away by the convenience of his set up.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Hi, I'm new to this forum,but just wanted to see what people's enclosures look like. I've had a tortoise before, who because of a move to England lives with my mom. She is happy 32 year horsfield and has never lived in enclosure, always free to roam inside the flat.
View attachment 293297View attachment 293298View attachment 293299
As we got a new baby Herman's, we thought we better use enclosure and decided to built one, so here it is. Might have to expand it more once it grows and we also have outdoor enclosure for the sunny days.
Nice

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
You asked to see other people's enclosures, so here is Kronk's Kastle. When I told my dad how much space Russian tortoises need, he was was like, "that's crazy, he's only 6 inches, how can he need 6 feet?" I told him about their needing to walk around a lot in order to digest their food, like horses. "And besides," I said, "he's a king, he deserves a castle." Well my dad took that little comment to the bank & built Kronk a figurative castle.View attachment 293414View attachment 293415View attachment 293416
You should totally buy a plastic dragon and have it sit on a tower lol so kronk can have a bad a** pet too

KronksMom

Illinois
You should totally buy a plastic dragon and have it sit on a tower lol so kronk can have a bad a** pet too
Actually there used to be several glass and stone turtles and tortoises from around the world that Kronk liked to look in on. When I put them in his enclosure he had zero interest, but when they were on the table next to it, he would sit and checks them out every once in a while.

TortloverPM

Cape Coral Florida
Be careful with heat mats. Tortoises, unlike other reptiles, get all their heat from above. They absorb it through the top of their shell, or they will stick their little arms and legs out (so cute!). If they do that on top of a heated mat, they can end up with burns, because they don't have the temperature receptors on their bottoms to realize they're too hot there.
I learn something new here everyday! Our sulcata came with a reptimat thankfully I've never used it and in SW FL not that many nights cold enough. Wow so glad I seen this.

KronksMom

Illinois
I learn something new here everyday! Our sulcata came with a reptimat thankfully I've never used it and in SW FL not that many nights cold enough. Wow so glad I seen this.
Sulcata are a little different. I don't keep any, so I'm kind of just repeating information I've heard from other people, so @Tom please correct what I get wrong. With them being so big, they actually do need the underneath heat option. CHE & even great big RHEs can only warm an animal so far down. Once the animal is over a certain height, they start to need heat from both the top and bottom, otherwise they can't fully warm themselves all the way through. To accomplish this a lot of keepers use radiators, Kane heat mats, radiant heat panels, or some combination of the 3. Is you do a search for "night box" you can see what other people have built for their big guys. But like I said, my guy is under 6inches, so I'm not speaking from any personal experience. Sulcata are a whole different experience that I hope to someday have too.

Last edited: