• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Shed design for cold weather

Peggy Sue

Location (City and/or State)
Grants Pass Oregon
Since we live in Oregon and it can get pretty cold and wet. We decided to go with a shed for Sheldon with a box inside for nightbox. Anyone have good pictures on how they set up your lights and heaters we could check out? He will have a door with access to the outside tortoise yard for when it’s nice enough 🐢❤ Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Inside a heated shed, I would use a Kane mat and an RHP overhead to make a warmer hide box area. I don't have pics anymore. The other way would be like this, but you could make it smaller and without the insulation if it is going to be in a heated shed:

Peggy Sue

Grants Pass Oregon
Inside a heated shed, I would use a Kane mat and an RHP overhead to make a warmer hide box area. I don't have pics anymore. The other way would be like this, but you could make it smaller and without the insulation if it is going to be in a heated shed:
Thank you Tom! Yes it will be inside a insulated and heated shed. Is a heat panel bet in the night box instead of a Che?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom! Yes it will be inside a insulated and heated shed. Is a heat panel bet in the night box instead of a Che?
Yes. A CHE concentrates too much heat into too small of an area to be used over larger tortoises. The radiant heat panel spreads the heat out over a much greater area and won't "slow-burn" the top of the carapace. And you still need the heat mat underneath for this to work.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you use any basking lights or uvb? In Dudleys shed
There's a pig blanket on the floor (Purchased from osborne-industries.com) and a 250 watt brooder light hanging from the ceiling (about 3' above the tortoise's shell) on a timer to be on during the night. Since Dudley can go out during the day, he doesn't need a basking light in the shed, but on cloudy or rainy days I leave the brooder light on during the day.

Peggy Sue

Grants Pass Oregon
@maggie18fan, I know you also live in Oregon and have a shed for your Sulcatas I would love to see some pictures of the inside to see how you set it up 😊 I think it’s awesome your also on here answering all our questions ❤🐢