Shedding or fungus or ????

hessbrit

Hey guys! Squirt is my first reptile so I'm not entirely sure what a normal shed looks like. Can anyone tell what the white spots on his front legs (top) may be?image.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks like he is rubbing his leg on his shell. It also could be the coconut coir you gave as substrate has made your little guy dirty and that is a clean spot .

hessbrit

When I look up close it looks like that very top layer is missing. Is there any way to prevent him from rubbing? I don't want him to hurt himself.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
From what I see he looks fine and that's just his skin. Obviously you see something that your worrying about. If i were you, just check his shell (whatever part of his shell he'd be rubbing against the skin) and see if it's really pointy and would do any damage. If not, I think your ok. I have hatched and raised sulcatas for years. Their skin just looks like that. I think Mike Taylor might be right about it might just be a clean spot.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
Might i add hessbrit....very observant.... That's a key factor in being a great tortoise mom. Good eye:) but I really think he's perfectly fine:) nothing to worry about. If anything changes please let us know!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You see he still has scales in the spot . Thats why I don't think you should worry . If it was something bad the scales would be missing . Soak him and clean him and I bet the whole leg will be just as clean as that spot .