shell cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
do you guys ever clean your torts shell? one of my hatchlings looks like he got a little bit of poo on his shell. im thinking maybe some warm water with an old toothbrush would do the job
anyone else every do this?

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
I use only water and tooth brush as well.:)
Mine like to poo and smear it all over....typical kids:p

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I use a brush and water also. I have a soft nail brush and they seem to like it ‘cause they wiggle when I clean their shells.:p I think it might tickle. But my granddaughter said it doesn't tickle, its that they are happy and they are dancing. ;)

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
I use a babies or toddlers toothbrush, since its softer.
If you use a hard bristle toothbrush it can take off the layers of a shell if used on hatchlings.

you cannot use any soap, or shampoo or anything just clean fresh warm water and a toothbrush does fine.

Messenjah

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My tort has algae growing all over his shell, I bought a toothbrush to scrub him, and I got a TON of caked off dirt off him and a small amount of the algae. It's pretty tenacious, though. I have no idea how to get it off his mouth. I put him in a larger tank today and he was swimming around. It was obscuring his vision, and you could see him shaking his head, trying to get it off. I gently held his head and tried to gently pull some of it off, but it was stuck on tightly and I didn't want to hurt him by ripping it off. Any ideas as to how to get it off his face? It's around his mouth; and I haven't seen his mouth open, so I'm not sure if it's causing him trouble eating.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Messenjah never pull shedding skin, or hanging scales and specially never pull algae from their faces.
It will most likely come off, aswell as ripping scales off his face.
Your best bet is just gently rub over it with warm water for awhile and it should come off with in time.

Can his mouth open? hold his head and try and ply your fingers inbetween his mouth and open it (you might get nipped) if it doesnt open best you go to a vet.

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
T-P said:
Messenjah never pull shedding skin, or hanging scales and specially never pull algae from their faces.
It will most likely come off, aswell as ripping scales off his face.
Your best bet is just gently rub over it with warm water for awhile and it should come off with in time.

Can his mouth open? hold his head and try and ply your fingers inbetween his mouth and open it (you might get nipped) if it doesnt open best you go to a vet.
I think i would take your tort to a vet.Theres always the chance of dislocating the jaw if you dont know what you are doing.Your tort my need antifungal treatment.

S

squirtle

Since we are talking about shell cleaning....

The Russian Tortoise I adopted a few months ago is doing better....his shell is harder and he doesn't fly into his shell every time there is a noise!

SIDE NOTE: Of course he did sneak out of his enclosure the other day and mount my large sulcata. I heard a bird-type sound from the back and ran outside thinking a baby bird had fallen into the yard. There he is, nearly vertical behind my (also male) Sulcata with his mouth open cawing while he.....well you know. I was laughing so hard and my sons mouths were hanging open. Needless to say the enclosures have been reinforced....

Back on topic...I need to really clean his shell. I mentioned before that he has some hardened wax on there....it seems like surfboard-type wax. I have tried to gently scrape it off, but he really doesn't like that, and so I stop. Any suggestions? Nail brushes aren't even touching the stuff.

Attachments

• 100_2928.jpg
    100_2928.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_3620.jpg
    100_3620.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 30

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Messenjah said:
My tort has algae growing all over his shell, I bought a toothbrush to scrub him, and I got a TON of caked off dirt off him and a small amount of the algae. It's pretty tenacious, though. I have no idea how to get it off his mouth. I put him in a larger tank today and he was swimming around. It was obscuring his vision, and you could see him shaking his head, trying to get it off. I gently held his head and tried to gently pull some of it off, but it was stuck on tightly and I didn't want to hurt him by ripping it off. Any ideas as to how to get it off his face? It's around his mouth; and I haven't seen his mouth open, so I'm not sure if it's causing him trouble eating.

Could you fill a mister (spray bottle set to mister) with hit water.
Now spray several times into the sink...it should come out room temperature (we do this with our gecko otherwise she freaks out at the colld water mists).
Then hold it about 6 inches away and spray a few times, let it "set" for acouple minutes then wipe with a terry towel in short gentle strokes?

I have also read of using the Novalson dilution to clean wounds etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.