Shell Condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonka-Tamer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Ever since I saw Tonka in the pet store, the look of his shell concerned me. Almost all of the lower scutes look a bit odd-I am wondering if its a case of shell rot. I know pet stores are often cloudy as to proper diets for different tortoises or tortoises in general, and whatever his diet or conditions had been-have probably been that way since he was a hatchling.
If this is shell rot, it doesnt seem as serious as other pictures I have seen on the web. What actions should I take to prevent further rot? If things go the way I like, I'd like to see how good of a tortoise owner I am by seeing to it that his shell is repaired and as good as new-if thats possible.
Carapace

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am not seeing any area I would be concerned with in this photo. Everything looks old. Looks like your guy had an interesting, if a bit rough, life in the wild or during his capture and travels.

Tonka-Tamer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
thats sad to hear, though he seems to be coming around to me a lot! Its only been a few days, but he lets me rub his head and inspect his legs after being outside for a while.

So you would guess he/she is an older RT?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yes not a hatchling nor "teenage", but also from this photo he doesn't look to be an elder. Just an adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.