Shell damage? Need advice!

Rebecca Holley

Location (City and/or State)
Boulder, Colorado
Hi all!
We got this Russian Tortoise (see photo) for Christmas from a local reptile store which has a good reputation. We did a ton of research and picked one out, but due to a clerical error, that one was sold to someone else, so we had to go with this one in order to get him in time for Christmas. We are committed to this new guy (or gal? I think guy) so I'm concerned that the condition of his shell looks so rough,and that it looks like three of the mid/lower scutes are coming off. We live in Boulder, Colorado where the climate is dry, so we have been soaking him almost daily. He eats well: tons of Romaine, carrots, celery, squash, kale. He seems fairly content and active, especially for how little time he has had with us so far. He's about 5". Any advice?

Attachments

• 20171229_170133.jpg
    20171229_170133.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 43

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
He or she looks to be an adult. You should not be feeding carrots all the time. We have a Russian tort section with much info. Go there and read it and ask away on questions.

Rebecca Holley

Boulder, Colorado
He or she looks to be an adult. You should not be feeding carrots all the time. We have a Russian tort section with much info. Go there and read it and ask away on questions.
Great! I did look there, and could not tell if his shell's condition is normal. Do you have any thoughts, based on the photo?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
To me, looks as it is a wild caught tort. Most pet stores sell wild caught. Also may be older. You can not tell the age unless you get a birthdate. Other then that, we would have to see the tail to see if it is male or femal.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Your tortoise is wild caught and is likely between four and ten years of age; they are usually imported at four to five, before they are sexually mature.

The shell is fine; most wild caught Russians are a little dinged up. They’ve spent their entire lives walking over dirt and rocks in a very dry climate.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It wasn’t your original question but your diet isn’t great. Carrots have too much sugar for Russians; squash are actually fruits (not vegetables, who knew!?) and also have quite a bit of sugar. It’s fine on occasion.

If you haven’t already read it, take a look at the beginner’s mistakes thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-split-Beginner-Mistakes#axzz1tG8s05M5

Here is a looong list of information on foods, most of it put together by very experienced members of this forum. It's a ton of reading, for now you will probably want to focus on the section about grocery store foods that is under the first two links; I bolded the part that mentions spring mix, and the greens that go into it. I think you will have a hispanic grocery store in Colorado, check their for cactus (nopales).

If you haven't already read it, check the Russian care sheet, it has a section on food near the bottom: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/.

There is another great list for foods that was written for another type of tortoise but if you skip the first bit about grass, all the foods below it are great for your Russian: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/.

You may need to rely on grocery store foods for now. Good foods for tortoises are "chicories," types of lettuce that are likely to be on the far side of the more common floppy green heads of lettuce most people buy. Anything labeled as simply chicory" is good, as are radiccio, frisee, escarole, and endive; you might even find something labeled as dandelions.You may find a bag of "Spring" or "Spicy" mix that is good, just check the label to be sure it has some of the chicories I just mentioned.

The leaves (just the leaves) of turnips and radishes are also good, as are carrot tops. Collards, mustard greens, bok choy, and other dark, leafy greens are okay as well. If you have any kind of Mexican/hispanic market near you, they will sell cactus, labeled "nopales."

You don't need to feed all of these at one time, just make sure your tortoise is getting access to different types of food. As you get more experienced, you can find the better types of food listed on the care sheets.

Here are a whole bunch of non-grocery store suggestions.

Mulberry leaves

Grape vine leaves

Hibiscus leaves

African hibiscus leaves

Blue hibiscus leaves

Rose of Sharon leaves

Rose leaves

Geraniums

Gazanias

Nasturtium

Lavatera

Pansies

Petunias

Hostas

Honeysuckle

Cape honeysuckle

Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...

Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:

Dandelion

Mallow

Filaree

Smooth Sow thistle

Prickly Sow thistle

Milk thistle

Goat head weed

Cats ear

Nettles

Trefoil