Shell: Dried, Shedding, or Rotting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Shanghai, China
It has been few weeks that I am finding it hard to diagnose what my turtle has on its shell.

Please see the pics I attached. What do you think? Is the shell rotting or a disease or fungus etc.? What is it? When I touch it, the shell is quite soft and the tail side of layer feels like it is going to shed.

Whatever it is, what do you think how I can fix my little one?
I can take it to a Vet but I don't trust the Vets in China...

Your help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1967.JPG
    IMG_1967.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1969.JPG
    IMG_1969.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1980.JPG
    IMG_1980.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1981.JPG
    IMG_1981.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1986.JPG
    IMG_1986.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 88

jonathan512

5 Year Member
call me crazy but it looks like hes shedding lol i dnt think theres anything wrong with him ,if ur really worried u can buy vitashell . it revitalizes dry brittle or cracked shells

Katherine

5 Year Member
From what I can see in the photos it looks like a healthy shed to me, I would be surprised if the upper keratinized layer of shell did not slough off soon. Sometimes a nice warm basking spot to be able to dry off completely can help to expedite the shed.

eagle

5 Year Member
Shanghai, China
Thanks Jonathan and Katherine :) This makes me feel so much better. Again, thanks a lot!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
A warm dry basking spot is very important...as far as appearance goes it appears to perhaps be shedding...but I can not say for certain with the pics...

Do you have a uvb and basking lights set up above their dock for exposure and for dry out time? :D

eagle

5 Year Member
Shanghai, China
Thanks to all.

@ascott: Yes, they have a UV light, and a basking area with a fake sun :)

redbeef

5 Year Member
My red eared slider was shedding when she found me last year and it looked much like that.

I've read on some other forums that you can feed koi fall/autumn food (because it contains wheatgerm) and it will help w/a difficult shed because of the vitamin E content

...It doesn't look like you need to worry about that yet, however: should come off fine. Main thing is good light and making sure that they can completely dry off in the basking area

Status
Not open for further replies.