Shell fungus again!!!!!

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
Please help! This is the second time my cherry head has had shell fungus in 2 months. I treated him the first time for at least a week with fungus cream. I did Betadine the first day. I have cut the humififier to low humidity for a while. What am I doing wrong? I just don't understand.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I wish I knew more about shell rot to help you. How moist are you keeping the substrate? What tools are you using to measure humidity? I wonder if maybe the original treatment didn't fully rid your tort of the fungus.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are more prone to shell rot and fungus. Are you keeping the top layer of the substrate dry, while adding humidity? This can usually be done by having a far amount of depth to the substrate and poring the water into the corners of the enclosure. It moistens the underneath while keeping the top dry.

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
I use coconut noir with cypress bark on top.

I also have a humidity/temp gauge from Lowe's.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I think you may not be using the right stuff. I have a water turtle for 26 years, and once she got a fungus on her shell. I used iodine solution and keep it dry. It took a long time for it to go away...up to a year. Perhaps your tort may not take as long as a water turtle, but that iodine is the cure. Clean the area well with betadine, then apply the iodine solution. Keep the area dry and continue the treatment for a week or two, depending on how bad it is. Then just wait it out. Repeat if necessary.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Shell rot in redfoots is usually caused by "too wet" conditions. My suggestion is to just treat the infected areas again and keep your substrate drier.

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
I have a reptifogger, but i basically have kept it off and humidity low most of the time. I am very discouraged. I dont want to cause pyramiding, but shell rot seems to be the worst of the two.

Oh, also, i have a 60 watt che, but it gets too warm in the vivarium. I am afraid i will overheat my baby tort, but if i turn it off, it dips in the lower 70s. What do you reccommend?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
There are ways to have high humidity without shell rot. Keep the humidity over 80% without having "wet" conditions and you won't have any issues.

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
So I apply the betadine more than once? I read somewhere in here to only use it once, because it will kill all new growth. I then used the antifungal for 6 days.

The substrate is dry. Humidity is usually in the 50s right now due to the shell rot. That's what has me so puzzled.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
See www.tortoiselibrary.com about shell rot and treatment of. It's under the "health and medical" section. As for your heat: get a CHE and hook it to a thermostat set to where you want it.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I don't think having above 80% humidity is good for a RT. I think if you use your humidifier and keep levels at around 60%, your tort will be better off. Applying the fungus med or iodine for longer than the 6 days you tried should take care of the problem. As others suggested, you can have a humid substrate underneath while having the top part dry. Hope you'll get this under control.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
sibi said:
I don't think having above 80% humidity is good for a RT. I think if you use your humidifier and keep levels at around 60%, your tort will be better off. Applying the fungus med or iodine for longer than the 6 days you tried should take care of the problem. As others suggested, you can have a humid substrate underneath while having the top part dry. Hope you'll get this under control.

I agree with you, but this is for a redfoot (RF).