Shell growth question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
i was wondering if it is normal for the carapace to grow out a bit like fingernails do. there is a thin layer of shell growth around the edge of the carapace and just want to know if this is normal growth?

my redfoot is my first tortoise so this may be a dumb question :I

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I don't have a clue, but just wanted to tell you that NO question is dumb. Pio is my first tort and I am still asking questions after three years of raising him. Could you take a picture of that?

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
It is hard to understand wat it is you are describing to us. A picture would be very helpful for us to be able to see wat you are talking about and further allow us to answer your question!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think I know what you are talking about--the edge of the shell flares a bit and is thin (almost see through for a light colored tort)? If so, then yes this is normal, but a photo can confirm this for us.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Normal for very young torts as far as I can tell.

The edge should be rather 'short'- not extend out too far, kind of like the edge of a fingernail.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I appreciate it guys.......yeah it is exactly like the protrusion of a fingernail right around the edge of the carapace. it isn't too long and good to hear it is normal! sounds like my baby is growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.