Shell Help

Bluckett

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Clearly his shell isn't doing too well. I've had him for a very long time, but have never seen anything like this happen. I Could really use some advice on what I should do to help him.

PXL_20210130_233921826.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Clearly his shell isn't doing too well. I've had him for a very long time, but have never seen anything like this happen. I Could really use some advice on what I should do to help him.
Looks like a normal Russian. What is the concern?

Bluckett

Colorado
Looks like a normal Russian. What is the concern?
Some areas of his shell have lost its original color. His shell also looks like it's peeling in some areas, especially the front half. I am going to give a good clean and change his enclosure to be safe. I'm glad nothing looks really off about him, I was very concerned. Thanks for the reply.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
How about a photo of your enclosure? He looks like a normal captive Russian. 'possibly he's rubbing his carapace on a hide? It looks very dry in that photo,substrate looks dry...

Bluckett

Colorado
How about a photo of your enclosure? He looks like a normal captive Russian. 'possibly he's rubbing his carapace on a hide? It looks very dry in that photo,substrate looks dry...
Yes it is very dry, the enclosure definitely needs some upkeep. I'm going to redo his enclosure today. I think you may be right about the scraping. Thanks for reply.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you saying that's new? Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but something has chewed on that tortoise. Normally you see that sort of thing after the family dog has gotten to the tortoise. The top layer of keratin has been scraped off by an animal's teeth. I doubt a rat would have a big enough mouth to have done that. More than likely the family dog has done it.

Another scenario, and one I'm more inclined to think happened is that before you got the tortoise a dog chewed and scraped that shell and now, after a long time, the new shell has re-grown UNDER that old, chewed shell and the old stuff is popping off because the new growth is bigger.

At any rate, there's really nothing to be done. It's not hurting him.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Are you saying that's new? Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but something has chewed on that tortoise. Normally you see that sort of thing after the family dog has gotten to the tortoise. The top layer of keratin has been scraped off by an animal's teeth. I doubt a rat would have a big enough mouth to have done that. More than likely the family dog has done it.

Another scenario, and one I'm more inclined to think happened is that before you got the tortoise a dog chewed and scraped that shell and now, after a long time, the new shell has re-grown UNDER that old, chewed shell and the old stuff is popping off because the new growth is bigger.

You really are so good at this...I still can not see damage

Bluckett

Colorado

It's been kind of a progressive thing. Scrap here, discoloration there, but nothing wierd. That's why I wasn't really worried for awhile. All of a sudden it looked out of the ordinary to me and I thought I would get some input. It's certainly a possibility my dog could of gotten to him, but I have a feeling it probably would look much worse if my dog had decided to go after him. Not entirely sure, thank you for the input regardless.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
All the damage is on the front hemisphere, I would bet this tort is repeatedly banging or scraping its shell on something as it enters or goes under it. The damaged shell flakes away as it is replaced with new keratin underneath. Also, its beak needs trimming by the looks of it.

Bluckett

Colorado
Yeah, I think this is probably the most likely explanation. He likes to burrow along rocks I have in his enclosure. I got rid of these, so hopefully he doesn't keep scraping his shell. Also his beak is starting to get long. He's not having any problems eating yet, but it needs to be addressed. Any advice on trimming beaks?

Bluckett

Colorado
I'm curious about his enclosure. What is that steel crossed piece right next to his head? What kind of enclosure is he in?
I had him in a plastic tub, those little crosses were at the bottom. I moved him out of that tub. It's clear to me now that the appearance of his shell is probably from scrapping things in his enclosure.