Shell issues

tortoisepopop

Location (City and/or State)
Catasaqua pa
What's up with my tortoises shell on the edges that beige. Is it growth or a fungus? Coco coir substrate
Temps around 80 humidity around 80
Redfooted.
I made a vet appointment but if anybody knows let me know thank you.

Attachments

• 20240921_140027.jpg
    20240921_140027.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240921_135339.jpg
    20240921_135339.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@ZEROPILOT should be able to help you. Is it on the plastron too (underneath)?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hopefully an expert will be able to help you shortly

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Hello!
Second tortoise doesn't have anything like this? Can you make a better photo in a natural daylight (especially marked areas)? Are spots/patches white and "fluffy"? It's definitely not a new growth. And some areas doesn't look like fungal infection - more like an old damage (e.g. burn) and keratin chipping off.

Attachments

• markup_1000054844.jpg
    markup_1000054844.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

tortoisepopop

Catasaqua pa
Hello!
Second tortoise doesn't have anything like this? Can you make a better photo in a natural daylight (especially marked areas)? Are spots/patches white and "fluffy"? It's definitely not a new growth. And some areas doesn't look like fungal infection - more like an old damage (e.g. burn) and keratin chipping off.
Yes I'll bring them into the sun when I get home in a few minutes. Just the one has it. It's not fluffy it looks like the shell was chipped almost it doesn't scratch off.

Reactions: Ink

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yes I'll bring them into the sun when I get home in a few minutes. Just the one has it. It's not fluffy it looks like the shell was chipped almost it doesn't scratch off.
When you say just the one has it, how many tortoises are there? And do you house them together? The photos do personally look fungal to me but it’s hard to say, it would be a strange spot for a fungal problem, a photo of their plastron would be good🙂

tortoisepopop

Catasaqua pa
Hello!

Attachments

• 20240921_150139.jpg
    20240921_150139.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240921_150132.jpg
    20240921_150132.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240921_150128.jpg
    20240921_150128.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Thank you for the photos. It looks like a bad case of fungal infection. Get an athlete's foot creme and apply to white areas and whole plastron. After day or two, try to clean areas with a soft bristle toothbrush. Plastron looks concerning (I hope it's just the photo), so that's good that you have a vet appointment. If the bone on the plastron is exposed it may require some more serious treatment.

Attachments

• markup_1000054846.jpg
    markup_1000054846.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I'll upload in a couple minutes I'm on my way home now. I have 2 of them in the tank.
Ok so bad news, tortoise of any species should NEVER be housed in pairs under any circumstances, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression. Anyone who tells you pairs are fine, have no idea what they’re talking about.

Small groups are ok when there’s lots of land and the correct male to female ratio.

They will both need separating asap.

Good news is you’ve found the forum and can start working to fix things

Thank you for including the photos! this is 100% a fungal infection, to treat this get yourself some athletes foot cream.

This infection has likely start from the top layer of your substrate being constantly damp, may I ask how your maintaining your humidity?

I think you’ll hopefully find this thread below helpful to look through, I cover correct equipment, levels, appropriately maintaining humidity to avoid shell rot, there’s lots of visual examples for everything and a great diet list to check out🙂

This one is also really good to get familiar with, it will help you avoid the wrong bulbs, materials and housing situations

tortoisepopop

Catasaqua pa
Ok so bad news, tortoise of any species should NEVER be housed in pairs under any circumstances, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression. Anyone who tells you pairs are fine, have no idea what they’re talking about.

Small groups are ok when there’s lots of land and the correct male to female ratio.

They will both need separating asap.

Thank you for including the photos! this is 100% a fungal infection, to treat this get yourself some athletes foot cream.

This infection has likely start from the top layer of your substrate being constantly damp, may I ask how your maintaining your humidity?

I think you’ll hopefully find this thread below helpful to look through, I cover correct equipment, levels, appropriately maintaining humidity to avoid shell rot, there’s lots of visual examples for everything and a great diet list to check out🙂

This one is also really good to get familiar with, it will help you avoid the wrong bulbs, materials and housing situations
I was using a mister so definitely the top layer is always moist. I'll get a second tank for the other one I was misinformed by the seller that they could be kept in pairs

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
As Alex has said, this one does unfortunately look quite extreme, it’s unusual to see it make its way toward the top of the shell like this, but I’ve seen it happen with bad infections. It may require a vet visit

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I was using a mister so definitely the top layer is always moist. I'll get a second tank for the other one I was misinformed by the seller that they could be kept in pairs
Yeah unfortunately soooo many breeders do this, especially red foots, whilst they are a species more tolerable of company, this still has to be in groups, never a pair, the dynamic just doesn’t work for tortoises.

Yes ditch the misting, have a read through that thread I linked, I go over maintaining your humidity to hopefully help avoid this🙂

tortoisepopop

Catasaqua pa
Yeah unfortunately soooo many breeders do this, especially red foots, whilst they are a species more tolerable of company, this still has to be in groups, never a pair, the dynamic just doesn’t work for tortoises.

Yes ditch the misting, have a read through that thread I linked, I go over maintaining your humidity to hopefully help avoid this🙂
Thanks for the help!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
The mister is making it too wet. There are chips all over the shell. Please review the set up heat, light, substrate, humidity, diet and hydration for both in their new independent enclosures. I would remove mister and just use a plant sprayer to moisten not drench.