Shell peeling

MattTL

I have a Russian who has a shell that is starting to peel. Is this a result from dehydration? If so, what should I use as a water bowl in the enclosure?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
A shallow planter base, terra cotta with 8" round and 1" tall.

What is your substrate?

A picture would help get input from some of the more experienced members.

MattTL

He currently is in a coconut shavings mix. I am trying to replace that with a mix of top soil and play sand.

This is a picture of Turbo's shell.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1392345814.897148.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392345841.093102.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
First, don't use sand of any kind or amount as a substrate. Your tort is getting too much heat on his carapace, either from the basking light or the heater (whatever you're using for heat). If you have a closed chamber, what are you using for humidity? Do you have a temp gun? All areas of his enclosure should be taken to make sure he's not overheating. Your substrate should be dry on top and moist underneath. Russians like it a bit cooler under the basking spot. So, that's what I would check first.

MattTL

It is 90-100 degrees under the light, and generally around 75-80 degrees in the rest of their enclosure, although there is a small cool spot. The humidity is usually 40-50. Why is sand not good to use? Could I put substrate on top of the sand? A lot of tortoise websites I have seen have done that.