Shell "Pyramiding" causes.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most of what I know about keeping tortoises has been through what I've observed. Internet information simply wasn't available a while ago. I've kept red footed tortoises for years here in hot and raining Florida. I've raised babies I've hatched from eggs and I've even nursed back sick ones (with help from my vet.) I have never experienced shell deformity and I think that's because of the true sun light and varied diet that my tortoises eat. However, my smallest, JULIO, has some pyramiding on his shell. He had some when I rescued him from a ten gallon glass aquarium with pine shavings. I can't tell if it is getting worse. It is certainly NO better...and I've had him for about two years now. What would cause a Red foot to get this while living in a "close to wild" type environment? Any thoughts?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Perhaps some pictures would help. In the two years that you have kept Julio has the new growth been smooth? Or, has the original pattern of pyramiding continued? Pyramiding is growth in too dry of conditions. I know that Florida has a humid climate that is probably ideal, but perhaps the night time heat source is too close to the shell, or a basking lamp, is drying out the shell. Just some ideas/questions. The growth that is pyramided will never smooth out. Over time, surrounded by new smooth growth, it may be less noticeable.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks for your reply. Most of the time here it's either storming rain or just drizzling, so humidity is not the culprit. Even in the dryer months, he has a little pond and a misting area. As for the heating lamp, it's only in use for maybe the five or six coolest nights of the year when it gets below 55ish. I guess it's the same original pyramiding and it's starting to look different because he is growing larger. I'm currently having difficulty with photos but my avatar is of Julio when he was smaller and you can make out the slight bumps that are now more pronounced.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The most current way of thinking about the cause of pyramiding in tortoises is keeping them in a humid environment during their first year. This first year sets the tone and the way the shell is going to be growing in the future.

You've described your rescue as having come from an aquarium with pine shavings. That's your first clue. Pine shavings = a very dry habitat.

We have now come to realize that baby tortoises hatch out during a wet or monsoon season and after they've hatched, they stay underground, or hidden in a moist environment.

So, keep a baby tortoise dry and you're going to see a bumpy tortoise.

There are four important things when it comes to raising a healthy baby...diet, exercise, sunshine and moisture, the most important of which is moisture/humidity.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Makes sense. Thank you. He was at a "pet store" rental bay at the local swap shop with some equally sickly iguanas and a prairie dog. They all also had limp, white iceburg lettuce...........

sillyfurby

I had never heard about pyramiding until I joined this forum. If I had seen a tortoise like the photos I've so recently seen, I'd have thought the condition was a specific breed. And I would have wanted one. As a matter of fact, I would still like to have one. There are questions going through my mind about them though. Are the tortoises healthy? Is the inside of the shell distorted, too?

sillyfurby

The most current way of thinking about the cause of pyramiding in tortoises is keeping them in a humid environment during their first year. This first year sets the tone and the way the shell is going to be growing in the future.

You've described your rescue as having come from an aquarium with pine shavings. That's your first clue. Pine shavings = a very dry habitat.

We have now come to realize that baby tortoises hatch out during a wet or monsoon season and after they've hatched, they stay underground, or hidden in a moist environment.

So, keep a baby tortoise dry and you're going to see a bumpy tortoise.

There are four important things when it comes to raising a healthy baby...diet, exercise, sunshine and moisture, the most important of which is moisture/humidity.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif
I'm confused. Some people are saying the cause of pyramiding is too much moisture, and others say the torts are too dry. So?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I'm confused. Some people are saying the cause of pyramiding is too much moisture, and others say the torts are too dry. So?
Too much moisture won't cause pyramiding, but if your temps aren't warm you risk a URI :) So please keep your torts in a warm & moist environment!