Shell Rot? Plastron Fungus? New parent paranoia???

ChloeRagusa

Location (City and/or State)
LAKEWOOD
Hello all!

Took my baby out for some sunshine earlier and noticed a little bit of his plastron seems to be raised or lifting. It's the same consistency as the rest of the plastron, no smell, it feels just slightly lifted. Could it be rot? Fungus? Nothing at all?
While I have your attention, he has had orangey spots on his shell since we got him that have not changed in size, shape, or texture. No smell, nothing disturbing except the color. Could that be an issue or is he just odd?

Thanks so much for any help. He gets daily soaks, a good moist environment with good temps on both sides and a good ambient temp, the right food, daily sunshine, etc. No part of his routine has changed since we got him, but he did grow significantly.

Attachments

• 20220404_184043.jpg
    20220404_184043.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
To me it looks like a bit of a scrape or drag mark. Not fungus.
But as I often say, get some inexpensive ATHLETES FOOT CREAM and apply a bit. It kills fungus fast....And if I'm right and it's NOT fungus, the cream does no harm.
(BTW I get my Athletes foot cream at the dollar store)

ChloeRagusa

LAKEWOOD
Hmmm... come to think of it, his basking rock is orange. Maybe it is discoloring the bottom of his shell and is too rough for his plastron... maybe I'll change his basking rock.
Thanks! I'll apply some cream immediately.

ChloeRagusa

LAKEWOOD
It looks like a sulctata tortoise in the picture if so then let me tell you... sulcata, leopards and star tortoises can not get shell rot.
That's really interesting to know! I was told he is a gopherus agassizii 😬 I'll love him either way, but size does matter 🤣

Attachments

• 20220323_175436.jpg
    20220323_175436.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3