Shell rot progress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
These pics are of my tortoise and its shell rot progress. Has been getting treated since 02/19, first two days was betadine scrub with lotriminAF cream, all days following has been just the scream. Bedding has been changed weekly and the top layer of cypress mulch has been kept dry. Soaks daily. Pics of of day one and day 15... Not much difference...does the shell take a while to grow and smooth itself out. Any input or suggestions? Also does the dark line on the belly look normal?

image-3486132915.png

image-3812368468.png

Cream* and oops, uploaded a pic twice.

I feel like the progress isn't what it should be.

Attachments

• image-2401061357.png
    image-2401061357.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 47

MarissaAndRFTortoiseMilo

5 Year Member
When I got my baby Red foot in early february he/she came with shell fungus. I was told to do what you did, the betadine for the first couple of days, with the cream. Then i switched to just the cream. His top shell cleared up within 2 or 3 weeks, but I am still having a little issue with his plastron clearing up. I don't soak him for long, you have to keep them dry while it clears up. My routine was to wake up and when I had time I would put him a bowl of warm water for just a few minutes, and take toothbrush and scrub his shell down really good. Then I would dry him off and apply the cream to his plastron and his top shell. I think the plastron might take longer just because the ointment might be rubbing off when he walks and what not. Keep doing what you are doing and I am sure it will clear up. I can't help you with the line on his plastron, my redfoot is my first tortoise, and he has a dark plastron so I'm not really sure if that is normal or not. Hopefully someone can help you out, best of luck.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
It looks like you are making some good progress. I dont know about the plastron dark spots, but everything else looks like healthy healing tissue. I find getting the tort is some sunshine makes a world of difference when dealing with shell rot.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
The Shell fungus is gone. It will take years for the Keratin to heal to a point where you don't notice it though........

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
I would stop using it if it were me. Keep an eye on it closely over the next weeks to see if there is any further bloom. If there is even a hint of regrowth then start it again and dont stop for a solid week.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
kanalomele said:
I would stop using it if it were me. Keep an eye on it closely over the next weeks to see if there is any further bloom. If there is even a hint of regrowth then start it again and dont stop for a solid week.

Thanks for the advise. Any idea about the dark line down the center of the plastron?

Status
Not open for further replies.