Shell rot treatment opinions (Clotrimazole vs Miconazole)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I've used creams with Clotrimazole 1% as the active ingredient with success in a matter of days or a week or so. I recently noticed a little bit of plastron fungal infection and didn't have any creams handy so I took some cream with Miconazole nitrate 2% home from work and have been using it for almost a week. There seems to be little success so far...and the infection is similar in visual extent to previous times. I ordered cream with Clotrimazole and it arrived today, I'll probably switch back to that.

Has anyone noticed a difference when treating shell rot?
Maybe different strands of fungal infections respond differently to different anti-fungal drugs? Could different substrates be linked to different strands of fungi?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
One of the torts I rescued earlier this year had some pretty extensive shell rot. I treated it by painting the spots with diluted iodine (betadine) tincture with a cuetip. It dries out the shell, so shouldn't be used over too long a period of time, and also be careful that it doesn't get in the soaking dish (rinse gently before placing in the waterbath). This stopped the fungal infection.

pdrobber said:
I've used creams with Clotrimazole 1% as the active ingredient with success in a matter of days or a week or so. I recently noticed a little bit of plastron fungal infection and didn't have any creams handy so I took some cream with Miconazole nitrate 2% home from work and have been using it for almost a week. There seems to be little success so far...and the infection is similar in visual extent to previous times. I ordered cream with Clotrimazole and it arrived today, I'll probably switch back to that.

Has anyone noticed a difference when treating shell rot?
Maybe different strands of fungal infections respond differently to different anti-fungal drugs? Could different substrates be linked to different strands of fungi?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I have had success with Clotrimazole. It's actually the only drug I've had success with for shell rot (as opposed to Nolvasan and Betadine.)

Status
Not open for further replies.