Shell Rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooterandtank

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yakima, WA
My red foot, Tank, is active and eats normally. His plasteron looks healthy but there are some areas on the plates that look like its wearing through layers. Its not pealing but if you look at the top right you can see that there is something going on. Is this normal?
Thanks!:tort:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 42

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi scooterandtank:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

It looks like your tortoise has a bit of shell rot going on there. Clean the shell real well. You can use Chlorhexidine (its the cleaner that doctors wash their hands in prior to surgery). You can buy it at the pharmacy. Then dry it and put some athlete's foot creme on the spots. You might need to take a look at your subtrate to find out why its holding so much water that your little guy is getting fungus.

scooterandtank

5 Year Member
Yakima, WA
Thanks! I tried posting this like a million times before I figured out it had to be approved whoopsies... my other post has more information on it. he's on bark in proper humidity and heat levels with no excess moisture held in the substrate. He loves to climb in and out of the wading dish a couple times a day but he dries off

Status
Not open for further replies.