Shell rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Does this appear to be shell rot? It appears almost that it is slightly pealing on the plastron? I scrubbed the right side with a toothbrush, the left side is untouched. This is the shell of my red foot tortoise, who is kept on cypress bark. I'm thinking the substrate may be kept a little too damp and that may have caused this.

Attachments

• image-3948412676.png
    image-3948412676.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 57

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
theelectraco said:
Does this appear to be shell rot? It appears almost that it is slightly pealing on the plastron? I scrubbed the right side with a toothbrush, the left side is untouched. This is the shell of my red foot tortoise, who is kept on cypress bark. I'm thinking the substrate may be kept a little too damp and that may have caused this.
Yes, it looks as if it is..the key is to keep the bottom layer moist and the top layer a little dryer so to say. Not dry. But not so wet to where it creates fungus and or shell rot...

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
Yes, its shell fungus.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-65688.html
I described here how to treat it, in case you don't know.
By the way, dampness isn't the cause...I keep my hatchlings mulch soaked most of the time, and rarely have problems. It MIGHT be a contributor, but its more of a hygiene cause, or some sort of bacteria that got into the habitat. I would change out your substrate entirely, and wash everything down good, or else it comes back very easily.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
Yes, its shell fungus.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-65688.html
I described here how to treat it, in case you don't know.
By the way, dampness isn't the cause...I keep my hatchlings mulch soaked most of the time, and rarely have problems. It MIGHT be a contributor, but its more of a hygiene cause, or some sort of bacteria that got into the habitat. I would change out your substrate entirely, and wash everything down good, or else it comes back very easily.

Thank you, Peter!

Status
Not open for further replies.