Shell scab in my RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Las Vegas Nevada
Hi some of you might probably remember about my RT's incident (my dog mistake her as a chew toy) and its been almost a year now after that incident. She was fine now and been doing good except that the scab is still there. It turned brownish And there is a spot where you can actually peel the scab of. I wonder if u have to take that off or it will come of naturally? I can't take her to the vet because I am only 14 and my parents doesn't want to, and also the top part of the shell where the tortoises head comes out, a small portion of the left side was chipped off (will it grow back). After 3 months the growth lines in the side kinda goes deep where you can put 1/4 of your pinky nails, but the growth lines in the top shell was okay. How do I get rid of that line? Does she need calcium or more sunlight, what food do I have to feed her?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'd like to see pictures of the concerned area, but my gut is telling me that it's perfectly normal.

When the top layer of shell (keratin) is scraped off and the underlying bone in the spot dies, it starts the process of new growth. Problem is, the new growth is happening UNDER the exposed spot. It takes a very long time for that new growth to totally cover the spot. Once it is completely healed/grown, the dead spot on top will start to flake up and can eventually be chipped off. It sometimes takes years.

As to the chunk taken out at the neckline, no, that will never grow back.

Status
Not open for further replies.