Shelly’s new enclosure

Jaid10

Location (City and/or State)
USA
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hi, I finally moved my 6yo tort, Shelly into a bigger enclosure. It is not completely finished yet but is working great so far. It is 10 by 10 ft. Is there anything you guys think I should add? I am planting grass and other tortoise safe foods in there. I might make her a heated night box but for now I’m just bringing her inside at night. I will add more hides too. Here’s some pics.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Great progress! Is the wooden wall just resting on top of the ground, or is it buried beneath the surface at all?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Great job Jade, you are awesome.
Shelly is going to be a happy tort!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
View attachment 241034 View attachment 241035 View attachment 241036 Hi, I finally moved my 6yo tort, Shelly into a bigger enclosure. It is not completely finished yet but is working great so far. It is 10 by 10 ft. Is there anything you guys think I should add? I am planting grass and other tortoise safe foods in there. I might make her a heated night box but for now I’m just bringing her inside at night. I will add more hides too. Here’s some pics.
Nice job Jaid10!! It's looking great.

Jaid10

USA
Great progress! Is the wooden wall just resting on top of the ground, or is it buried beneath the surface at all?
The wood is just on top of the dirt. I will watch and see if she digs. She hasn’t had any trouble in the past with it.

Jaid10

USA
My only concern is my dog. She is a golden doodle and they are supposed to be ok with other pets. She can easily get in and out of the cage. I’ve watched the situation and she goes in there all the time. She’ll sniff Shelly for a long, long time and then occasionally bark at her.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
My only concern is my dog. She is a golden doodle and they are supposed to be ok with other pets. She can easily get in and out of the cage. I’ve watched the situation and she goes in there all the time. She’ll sniff Shelly for a long, long time and then occasionally bark at her.
Sounds like you have a good dog, but even good dogs can still be unpredictable around tortoises. It would be best if you keep them separated.

daniellenc

Maryland
I’d train your dog not to go in there. Dog bites are deadly and it’s only a matter of time. Shelley should be supervised at all times when your dogs out.

Jaid10

USA
I’d train your dog not to go in there. Dog bites are deadly and it’s only a matter of time. Shelley should be supervised at all times when your dogs out.
I’ll do my best. I’ll try to train her the best I can to stay out!

Johnkoch

5 Year Member
Frisco, Texas
Another think you have to be careful of is your dog pooping in Shelly's area. I have two large dogs and when they poop in my tortoise's area if I don't pick it up right away he will find it and start to eat it, I guess this is a common thing since I've read other members comments that say the same thing about there tortoise. I'm not an expert but I wouldn't think this would be good for them. I've also read that this is a common thing that happens in the wild (tortoise eating other animals poop).

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Another think you have to be careful of is your dog pooping in Shelly's area. I have two large dogs and when they poop in my tortoise's area if I don't pick it up right away he will find it and start to eat it, I guess this is a common thing since I've read other members comments that say the same thing about there tortoise. I'm not an expert but I wouldn't think this would be good for them. I've also read that this is a common thing that happens in the wild (tortoise eating other animals poop).

I wouldn’t trust ANY dog with a tort, unless the dog is a chi and a tort is aldabra. There are keepers here who do have older or specially trained dogs, but I would just always keep my eye on them. Not worth a risk of an injury and huge heartbreak.

Jaid10

USA
I wouldn’t trust ANY dog with a tort, unless the dog is a chi and a tort is aldabra. There are keepers here who do have older or specially trained dogs, but I would just always keep my eye on them. Not worth a risk of an injury and huge heartbreak.
I’ve been watching her with the tort and she doesn’t go into the enclosure anymore. I think she’s over it. I am out of town right now so I’ll have to ask my parents how it’s going.