She's Done it Again

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
We've had a warmer than usual winter so far this year. Today we got into the low 70s. Over the last weekend I heard scratching coming from one of the supposing sleeping tortoises. It was my adult female hermanns. So Monday I moved her outside to her summer enclosure and turned the heated crock back on for a heated hide. Today she laid eggs on the surface and destroyed all but one. This has happened before.KIMG1941_01_BURST1001941_COVER.JPGKIMG1965.JPGHer eggs are getting bigger each year which is a good thing. I'm really not interested in being a breeder but enjoy raising the hatchlings.

Len B

10 Year Member!
She laid another egg I found it 2 days later. Today I found Spot KIMG1976.JPGwho is one of her offspring that dug in last fall before I moved them inside. She is fine after spending winter outside. She is spending tonight In their heated crock. Tomorrow I'll bring her in for a good soak and weigh her.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What happens to eggs inside a tortoise during winter temperatures and while she is brumating? Do they keep developing normally?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Nice job Len. I’ll share that my “hibernating” fig trees in our garage have all pushed out buds. All watered & Figs are now outside. 😎

The bananas are pushing out too.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I honestly don't know happens with the eggs during brumation.
I kinda think the eggs just keep developing and then at some point they lay them. Even if the eggs aren't fertilized. I maybe had that happen with a box turtle I helped for a while. But then I've read that the eggs could be fertilized for about 3 years and then they lay them. It's an interesting subject to me.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Nice job Len. I’ll share that my “hibernating” fig trees in our garage have all pushed out buds. All watered & Figs are now outside. 😎

The bananas are pushing out too.
I only have one fig tree, Brown Turkey type. It survived but no activity yet. I've cut a few bananas back nothing going on with them so far.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
eggs can change size??????
No. They are hard shelled. If the incubator media is too wet for a given species, the eggs will take on water through osmotic pressure and crack open. This happens frequently with Russian tortoise eggs when people keep them on damp media. Russian eggs need high humidity, but dry media.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What happens to eggs inside a tortoise during winter temperatures and while she is brumating? Do they keep developing normally?
Part of the reason why this is poorly understood is because it is highly variable. Variable between species, and variable within the same species too.

Most temperate species lay their eggs in the fall and don't brumate with eggs inside. In spring time, they undergo vitellogenesis, mating, ovulation and egg deposition again. BUT... Some species do carry their eggs over winter and then deposit them in the fall at least some of the time. Notably Chersina angulata do this at least some of the time.

Reptile reproduction is full of all sorts of mysteries and unanswered questions. As much as I have done it, seen it done, and studied it, I have been and still am largely ignorant about many of the details. For anyone interested in learning more about reproduction in egg laying reptiles, I recently found this series. Its 10 videos that are mostly 20-40 minutes long, but you will understand more than you ever have if you watch them all. The videos are specifically about monitor lizards, but the process shares many similarities for any egg laying reptile. I found these videos both enjoyable, easy to watch and understand, and HIGHLY educational. That man should get a prize for this series! Here is a link to the first one: