Shipping 40 lbs of sulcatas rejected fedex

tortlvr

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego Ca
Your best bet is to call either reptilesexpress or shipyourreptiles and ask for an appropriate box for size and weight of your torts. The Kitsap are cheap at shipyourreptiles and you dont need an account. The kit has the cotton bags to put the tort in so they can't try and dig out of the box. They also include hot and cold packs incase you need them and a label indicating what is in the box.
Either place should be able to walk you thru what you need to do.
Nice information for future reference. Always good to have experienced insights.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
I think you should call reptile express if that's who you were using to ship. They should be able to help you the best.
If Delta Dash is actually shipping, airline approved dog crates should be enough. I have received and shipped with DD and the dog crates. Zip tie the door shut and be sure to put proper signage all over the crate or box.
I did call. Delta said no for now. Reptiles express told me to call fedex

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I did call. Delta said no for now. Reptiles express told me to call fedex
Wow really! Shipyourreptiles is a little more expensive in their shipping charges then reptilesexpress but I believe they handle more of the shipping end. I would try them.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
Wow really! Shipyourreptiles is a little more expensive in their shipping charges then reptilesexpress but I believe they handle more of the shipping end. I would try them.
Fedex rep said we don’t ship reptiles haha they transferred me to the rude facility and the lady was like what did I tell you last night…I’m like lady I called the number you gave me. At a loss

ZenHerper

New Jersey
You're burning your bridges arguing with the wrong people. FedEx personnel have the right to refuse items/containers they deem hazardous, suspicious, or insufficient for the job. This can be uber-subjective, but it is their right to not accept packages they may be called to account for later.

From the FedEx website:

A. FedEx Express does not accept live-animal shipments as part of its regular-scheduled service and does not transport household pets such as dogs, cats, birds and hamsters. FedEx Express may accept certain shipments of live animals such as horses, livestock and zoo animals (to and from zoo locations only) on an exception basis if approved and coordinated by the FedEx Animal Desk (call 1.800.405.9052).

If approved by FedEx, we may accept non-venomous reptiles, amphibians, live/tropical fish and beneficial insects on an exception basis under the following conditions:

1. Shipments must be from a business to a business (from a breeder to a pet store, for example).

2. The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal being shipped. Call 1.800.633.7019 for assistance. It is the responsibility of the shipper to adequately package shipments for all temperature extremes and handling conditions.

B. FedEx Express does not accept animal carcass shipments as part of its regular-scheduled service. FedEx Express may accept certain shipments of animal heads and other parts for taxidermy if properly packaged.

If approved by FedEx, we may accept animal carcasses, organs and other parts on an exception basis under the following conditions:

1. Shipments must be approved by the FedEx Animal Desk (call 1.800.405.9052).

2. The shipper must have its packaging tested and pre-approved by FedEx Packaging Design and Development for the type of animal carcass, organ or part being shipped. Call 1.800.633.7019 for assistance. It is the responsibility of the shipper to adequately package shipments for all temperature extremes and handling conditions.

Citation:

These regs are why people use the shipping brokers. But the brokers don't want their certs messed up by users who don't use their (approved) supplies and who give them a bad name with FedEx personnel.

Deep breath. Measure twice, cut once.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Fedex rep said we don’t ship reptiles haha they transferred me to the rude facility and the lady was like what did I tell you last night…I’m like lady I called the number you gave me. At a loss
Call/contact shipyourreptiles. Get all the info as far as a shipping container thru them and set up the shipping thru them. Not fedex!
We are trying to help but you are contacting the wrong people, not the ones you are being told to contact
When shipping thru a reptile shipper, like SYR or RE that is who you should be dealing with. Let them deal with fedex.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
No bridges to burn haha. All I get is no and idk from everyone I call.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
Call/contact shipyourreptiles. Get all the info as far as a shipping container thru them and set up the shipping thru them. Not fedex!
We are trying to help but you are contacting the wrong people, not the ones you are being told to contact
When shipping thru a reptile shipper, like SYR or RE that is who you should be dealing with. Let them deal with fedex.
I left reptile express a message. FYI I talked to them earlier. They said call fedex for proper instructions. Get what I’m saying?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I left reptile express a message. FYI I talked to them earlier. They said call fedex for proper instructions. Get what I’m saying?
OMG! I get it, but don't get it lol.
Good luck, I'm lost for what else you can do. Maybe try calling a different fedex hub that takes hazardous items. See if they will give you better help.
You might have to drive them to where they are going, ugh.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Did you read either of the pages I posted from RE and FedEx? Have you followed their published policies?

If you're doing it wrong and them complaining to their employees, I'm not surprised you're being closed out.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
Did you read either of the pages I posted from RE and FedEx? Have you followed their published policies?

If you're doing it wrong and them complaining to their employees, I'm not surprised you're being closed out.
I dont think you read all I have said. I am not complaining to them. I am asking them for instructions. The website says its ok to ship. They are contradicting each other. I used the instructions they gave me at first......

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Either way I just cancelled. You would have to be on the phone with me to understand.
So what you going to do? Were these two you have sold or trying to ship them to a place you are moving to?
It's crazy. Don't think I have ever heard of someone having so much trouble.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
So what you going to do? Were these two you have sold or trying to ship them to a place you are moving to?
It's crazy. Don't think I have ever heard of someone having so much trouble.
Well the little baby is getting picked up and shipped today I hope ?. The adults will have to stay with my parents until I figure it out. No way I will sell or put up for adoption. Have had them for like 7 years. Maybe till these flight embargo’s get removed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
FedEx didn’t show up hahah. Got to love them
Oh wow, you're just not having luck at all.
However, you would be much better off driving it to the fedex hub yourself, so it doesn't get stuck riding around all day in a truck.

Claymoore

Orlando, Florida
However, you would be much better off driving it to the fedex hub yourself, so it doesn't get stuck riding around all day in a truck.
I would not trust fedex picking up any animal. I would only drop off at the hub. I’ve never had any shipments questioned ever. I have about 90 torts so I have shipped in a lot and shipped out. My last advice is to make sure you are only going to the fedex location that accepts dangerous goods. You have to filter it on their website. You can’t just go to any other fedex location. It will be rejected. If that’s were your going I would then look for the location the next town over. For the large torts if you are using those HDX totes from Home Depot zip tied shut you shouldn’t have any issues. I’ve had zero issues with those and that would be only way to ship large tortoises with a bunch of straw in the bottom. That’s my final input.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
I would not trust fedex picking up any animal. I would only drop off at the hub. I’ve never had any shipments questioned ever. I have about 90 torts so I have shipped in a lot and shipped out. My last advice is to make sure you are only going to the fedex location that accepts dangerous goods. You have to filter it on their website. You can’t just go to any other fedex location. It will be rejected. If that’s were your going I would then look for the location the next town over. For the large torts if you are using those HDX totes from Home Depot zip tied shut you shouldn’t have any issues. I’ve had zero issues with those and that would be only way to ship large tortoises with a bunch of straw in the bottom. That’s my final input.
I am having them shipped to me since I already left to Michigan. Was waiting for the Temps to drop below 100 in Vegas. Today My mother will drop it off at another approved location. (the small baby) in a shipyourreptiles package. Hope no more issues. Will try one more time to ship the large ones next week........if not will fly over and rent a car...Wanted to avoid that. They are my forever pets so I am willing to do it.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
The pick up was suppose to between 5 and 6 pm so i was ok with it. FedEx loves me.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
The sad part is that everyone is giving me great advice but its the same things I did. Maybe its just the management at this Fedex.