Shipping a Sulcata across the Country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utica. MI
P4230546.JPGTed needs to come home to me, I miss him greatly and SanDiego is waiting for him... one problem, i used to live in detroit michigan, and Ted is there..

the only thing i can think of is wait until i can get off work after xmas time and see if i can fly out there, and fly back with him.. will they let him stay with me on the plane? or will he have to go somewhere else?

is there a cheaper way i can get him out here? he isnt very big at all, less than a year and he doesnt weigh that much at all..

do you think the airlines would let him stay with me if i flew with him? do you think it would even be okay to have him fly in a plane?

advice!! haha thanks :D

Last edited by a moderator:

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
because it is my grandmother and younger brother, one is senile and the other a complete moron lol have you sent a tortoise through the mail? who did you use? ups? dhl? fed ex?

mostly becuase i dont trust the average human being to use caution and care while handling Ted.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I hav not sent ont but I got all mine through the mail Fed Ex and USPS

prancingbee

5 Year Member
I doubt that any airline will let you fly with him. I've tried looking up several airlines already and they always say no reptiles.
You can send him as fright though.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I have transported animals (few parrots)with me on the plane before... I brought some type of pass(6 yrs ago it was $45 bucks and a cert from a vet check $25).. it had to be in a airline approved crate that fits under the seat..brought it through security they used the sniffer on the crate and i boarded.... So if he can fit in a crate under the seat... Unless things have changed ...it shouldn't be a problem

blogansrun

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I am new here and I hope this is not against any rules. I have heard great things about shipyourreptiles.com. They should be able to help anyone box up your tortoise safely and manage to ship it to you with no problems. I have yet to use them, but if you want to ship your tortoise overnight legally with FedEx or UPS you will need to fill out a lot of paperwork (you must have an account for shipping reptiles). It takes some time and can be a daunting task. Hope this helps, if I am wrong about anything please let me know.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Fedex has a reptile shipping department. I use them and they are very easy. Check the temp's before you have it sent to see if you will need to put a heat pad in or anything. Make sure it is overnighted.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I go through Ship Your Reptiles. Shipping is through Fedex and you get a good discount from the regular Fedex price. Always have gotten good service from them and it's very user friendly to book a shipment through them.

Lisa Anne

5 Year Member
Anaheim, CA 92806
I needed to move some torts within CA earlier this year and looked into flying with them. Two major airlines would not allow reptiles in the passenger cabin regardless of species or size. Too close to snakes on a plane I guess. There was a member who did fly with his tort and said he told TSA and they didn't care. He pocketed the babe while on the plane. There was also a story in the news where a plane returned to the terminal because a 2-inch turtle was on the plane. You would be gambling if you tried to take Ted with you on the plane.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/25/turtle-on-a-plane-two-inc_n_625143.html

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
Ship your reptiles looks like a scam haha but ill check them out, on average how much is it to ship a small turtle weighing less than 5 lbs? from detroit to san diego?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
IRTehDuckie said:
Ship your reptiles looks like a scam haha but ill check them out, on average how much is it to ship a small turtle weighing less than 5 lbs? from detroit to san diego?
I assure you,they are not a scam. I've made almost 30 shipments with them so far this year,with no problems whatsoever. If I might ask,what part of it looks like a scam?

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
just the lot of it, its not a bad thing, it looks really friendly, almost too friendly, maybe its just me being paranoid, i planned on using them or fedEx, so its all good =]]

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Duckie, ship your reptiles allows you to use their account with Fed-Ex (as long as you follow their directions), they have info on the website to help you understand how to properly ship your tortoise and guide you along. They don't ship it for you. You have to have someone follow the directions and use the proper box and ship it to you. Shipping cost is based on box size/dimensions and weight. It will probably run about $55 - $60, you could bypass them but it will cost you more.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
IRTehDuckie said:
Ted needs to come home to me, I miss him greatly and SanDiego is waiting for him... one problem, i used to live in detroit michigan, and Ted is there..

the only thing i can think of is wait until i can get off work after xmas time and see if i can fly out there, and fly back with him.. will they let him stay with me on the plane? or will he have to go somewhere else?

is there a cheaper way i can get him out here? he isnt very big at all, less than a year and he doesnt weigh that much at all..

do you think the airlines would let him stay with me if i flew with him? do you think it would even be okay to have him fly in a plane?

advice!! haha thanks :D

Fly out and rent a car for a road trip back? Likely cost about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.