Shipping Large Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Italianlnm

Is it safe to ship a large Sulcata?

How would it go about being done? And what would the price range be?

I know there are very many topics on shipping torts, but I haven't seen anything about how you would go about shipping a rather large tort, if you can even ship a large tort.

The Sulcata is around 45 pounds.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Italianlnm said:
Is it safe to ship a large Sulcata?

How would it go about being done? And what would the price range be?

I know there are very many topics on shipping torts, but I haven't seen anything about how you would go about shipping a rather large tort, if you can even ship a large tort.

The Sulcata is around 45 pounds.

Many years ago my tortoise partner, who lives in Philadelphia, found a full grown Manouria emys phayrei to add to our collection. He crated up the 65lb tortoise in a sturdy plywood crate that he made. Holes in the sides, etc. Crate was just slightly larger than the tortoise. Then he shipped it Delta Dash. The flight was straight through from Philly to Fresno's airport. The tortoise made the trip just fine. There were warnings printed on the sides of the crate: This side up! Live tortoise! Harmless Reptile! etc.

Yvonne

I think you would be able to ship a 45lb sulcata in a sturdy dog crate too.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You can ship a large Sulcata, it's just going to be very expensive. You'd need to ship it in a plywood box, with holes drilled for ventilation.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can call Delta Dash or one of the aerial same-day shippers and ask how much a 50 or 60 pound box would cost from zip code to zip code. Prices differ according to where the shipment is going. They can give you an estimate.

Yvonne

I

Italianlnm

Okay. Thanks.. This is coming from Ohio to South Carolina.. So I don't know how much that would be.. Not SO SO far.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I would suspect that if both parties, in Ohio and SC, were to drive and meet in the middle, the cost would be much less than shipping, and more piece of mind!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Italianlnm said:
Okay. Thanks.. This is coming from Ohio to South Carolina.. So I don't know how much that would be.. Not SO SO far.

Right now anything over 50lbs is going to run somewhere around $125. Anything less between $85-$95...........Delta standard is cheaper and only adds a few hours to the trip.......Either way works, just make sure you don't feed it for a few days and try to purge it as much as you can. Otherwise you end up with a poopy mess on the receiving end..........

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
could you ship it in a dog kennel?
when I lived in alaska I shipped a couple dogs out to their owners.

check out shipping via freight on a plane.

I

Italianlnm

We were thinking about meeting half way.. but were also going to look into shipping. Just to see the cost and what not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
EricIvins said:
just make sure you don't feed it for a few days and try to purge it as much as you can. Otherwise you end up with a poopy mess on the receiving end..........

I use disposable diapers on the larger tortoises that I ship. You can tape them to the shell with duct tape. Works like a charm.

Yvonne

ReptileManiac

5 Year Member
Yvonne could you take a picture of a tort with a diaper on? That would be a site to see! lol

sunkisseddragons

5 Year Member
Just to give you an idea on shipping- we ship bearded dragons Priority Fed Ex overnight all over the US. A 1 lb box is $40, a 2 lb box is $50.

You might be looking at $2-300. My brother just had a pure bred great dane shipped from Michegan to California and it cost him $500 to ship.

Every carrier is different. Hopefully it wont break the bank!

Status
Not open for further replies.