Shopping in preparation for my tortoise

GreenFire719

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina, USA
Hello everyone! I've decided it's time to buy my supplies to care for a tortoise and wanted to post what I'm looking at getting for an initial set-up for a younger tortoise. I'm getting the majority of my products off of amazon due to gift cards.

My first items I'm getting are digital thermometer/hygrometer. They are from Acurite brand (model 00613) and cost right now $8.99 from the amazon store. I'm planning on getting them from another seller on amazon to save some money, since I'm planning on getting two. Under the same category, I've decided to also purchase a thermal gun after seeing many post about how useful they are in care. I'm looking at getting the etekcity lasergrip, priced $17.88. Once again I will probably purchase one from another vendor on amazon to save a few bucks, but otherwise not a bad price IMO. One of my products I'm not buying off of amazon is a zoo med basking spot lamp, rated 75 watts at a price of $10 for two bulbs and a night bulb for $4. I'm also getting 12 4-5" cuttlefish bones off of amazon for $8.99, with the hope of whatever isn't used can go to Parker (my snail). I'm also looking at purchasing 3 packs of compressed coconut fiber for a total of $4.99 to be used as my substrate. All packs make 24L of coconut fiber when mixed with water, which should be good for starting out. I'm getting my lamp fixture from Flukers for $10.49, rated for the bulbs I'm looking at getting. This is a clamp lamp style fixture that will either sit on top on my enclosure or inside. I'm purchasing 12oz Zoo Med calcium powder with D3 for $14.99 off of Amazon for nutrients. One of my final purchases off of amazon I'm looking to make is for a small humidifier on sale for $14.95 right now, to keep a healthy humidity level for my soon-to-be-mine young tortoise. I do have a 50 gallon (I believe) tub I think I will use, measuring 16x30x20". I have a slate cheeseboard I'm going to use as a food tray for my tortoise and I'm going to repurpose a terra cotta plant saucer for a water dish (with sloped sides).

Sorry this post was much longer than I thought it would be . I would appreciate suggestions and comments on my shopping list before I purchase things for my tortoise. I'm in no rush to buy but the sooner I get it done the better. Thank you everyone for your help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please be sure to read the Beginner Mistakes thread. (I haven't figured out how to put up a link from my Kindle, but you can use the search feature to find it.)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone! I've decided it's time to buy my supplies to care for a tortoise and wanted to post what I'm looking at getting for an initial set-up for a younger tortoise. I'm getting the majority of my products off of amazon due to gift cards.

My first items I'm getting are digital thermometer/hygrometer. They are from Acurite brand (model 00613) and cost right now $8.99 from the amazon store. I'm planning on getting them from another seller on amazon to save some money, since I'm planning on getting two. Under the same category, I've decided to also purchase a thermal gun after seeing many post about how useful they are in care. I'm looking at getting the etekcity lasergrip, priced $17.88. Once again I will probably purchase one from another vendor on amazon to save a few bucks, but otherwise not a bad price IMO. One of my products I'm not buying off of amazon is a zoo med basking spot lamp, rated 75 watts at a price of $10 for two bulbs and a night bulb for $4. I'm also getting 12 4-5" cuttlefish bones off of amazon for $8.99, with the hope of whatever isn't used can go to Parker (my snail). I'm also looking at purchasing 3 packs of compressed coconut fiber for a total of $4.99 to be used as my substrate. All packs make 24L of coconut fiber when mixed with water, which should be good for starting out. I'm getting my lamp fixture from Flukers for $10.49, rated for the bulbs I'm looking at getting. This is a clamp lamp style fixture that will either sit on top on my enclosure or inside. I'm purchasing 12oz Zoo Med calcium powder with D3 for $14.99 off of Amazon for nutrients. One of my final purchases off of amazon I'm looking to make is for a small humidifier on sale for $14.95 right now, to keep a healthy humidity level for my soon-to-be-mine young tortoise. I do have a 50 gallon (I believe) tub I think I will use, measuring 16x30x20". I have a slate cheeseboard I'm going to use as a food tray for my tortoise and I'm going to repurpose a terra cotta plant saucer for a water dish (with sloped sides).

Sorry this post was much longer than I thought it would be . I would appreciate suggestions and comments on my shopping list before I purchase things for my tortoise. I'm in no rush to buy but the sooner I get it done the better. Thank you everyone for your help!

Hello.

Much of this is species dependent. What species are you getting?

I'll point out the things that jump out at me:
  • I would not buy the ZooMed Lamps. Those are usually spot bulbs and they concentrate too much heat in one spot. Regular 65 watt flood bulbs from the hardware store work better and are much cheaper.
  • Some species need night heat and others don't. Either way, those colored night bulbs should not be used. If you need night heat, get a ceramic heating element and set it on a thermostat.
  • Coco coir is good for Testudo babies, but I don't like it for any other species. Fine grade orchid bark works best. Also, you'll need more than 3 bricks to make a thick enough layer. You can purchase coir or orchid bark in bulk much cheaper at a garden center or nursery.
  • 30x16 is too small for anything but a tiny hatchling. A 50 gallon footprint would be typically be 48x18. I'd get something bigger.
  • Humidifiers are not something I like to use. If its an open top, it won't help the problem anyway. In a closed chamber, you don't need it. I'd save your money.
All the rest sounds pretty good. Here is the thread Yvonne mentioned:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

When we know what species you are after, we can link the correct care sheet for you.

GreenFire719

North Carolina, USA
I believe this is the correct care sheet you mentioned: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index....ta-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/#post-745287
And as for what I'm looking at getting is a Sulcata. I'm looking to getting a hatchling to a yearling as my companion so I figured a tub will work for a little while and then move him into a more permanent enclosure outside and a bigger indoor enclosure for when the weathers not good. Thank you guys for all the tips, especially Tom with the light bulbs; I was quite confused with knowing what will be strong enough to keep a consistent temperature.