Shopping List Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maricopa, AZ
Can someone please help me with the list of stuff I need to buy? I have read Tom's threads about caring for sulcatas and have started a list. There is so much information though... I just don't want to forget anything. I live in a small town in AZ. I'm planning a trip to Lowe's and a pet store tomorrow, so I want to be sure to get everything I need. Here is what I have so far:

Indoor:
36w x 18h x 13d aquarium
Sphagnum Peat Moss (Only one I could find out here that was chemical free)
Terra Cotta water & food dishes
Plastic shoe box for humid hide box
Currently feeding them spring mix

photo.JPG

Outdoor (Temporary):
4' x 4' area enclosed with 2x6's
Shapgnum Peat Moss
Bucket tipped over for hide
Terra Cotta Water Dish
Currently using a screen on the top to keep my cats out

What I have on my list to buy:
35-50 watt spot or flood bulb with ceramic fixture
CHE Ceramic heating element
Flat Rock or piece of slate for basking spot
Temp gun and remote probed thermometer
Chicken wire
Materials to make a bigger outdoor enclosure. (Will probably make something similar to the one Tom did with the cinder blocks, etc.)

What am I forgetting? Any suggestions? Should I get another type of substrate to use or add? Thank you!

I forgot to add that I plan on buying some plants and seeds to plant outdoors too. My backyard is nothing but dirt and weeds (not the good kind) right now, so I'm working on clearing it out and getting it tort ready. :) That's more of a long term project though. I'm mostly concerned with what they need now.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For indoor UVB light, unless they will be outside a lot, then not needed. Also, a bigger variety of greens. Plus some of that optunia cactus you should have growing someplace close to you for feeding. I can't think of anything else. See if others can.

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Maricopa, AZ
I take them outside for a few hours every day, so I'm not worried about a UVB light. I added the optunia cactus to my list. I have the list of recommended foods from Tom's thread. I couldn't find any of it out here so I just got the spring mix from the grocery store. I plan on getting different stuff in town. Thanks!

schmodygirl

5 Year Member
mesa, az
What part of AZ are you in? I am in Mesa. Some of the foods, such as cactus pads can be ordered as well. Tortoisesupply.com is a good source if you don't have a food city or ranch market with in a decent distance. I got one of those Rubbermaid storage containers from Loews, it was about $20 or $25. I fine everyone on hear to be helpful and full of knowledge. Post some pics when you have it set up.

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Maricopa, AZ
I'm in Maricopa. We have nothing out here Lol. I'll have to check out that site. Thanks!

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Maricopa, AZ
I don't know why I didn't think of ordering stuff online before, but I found a bunch of stuff. Here is what I have in my cart:

Rep-Cal Calcium - Phosphorus and Vitamin D3 Free
Zoo Med Combo Mini Deep Dome Lamp Fixture
Exo Terra Sepia Bones for Turtles
Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 60 Watts
Exo Terra Sun Glo Spot Lamp 50 Watts
AcuRite 00611 Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer and Humidity Sensor
Zoo Med Forest Floor Bedding
Mazuri Tortoise Diet - 2 lbs

I'm still trying to find the spineless cactus pads.

Anyway, should I order this stuff or does anyone recommend different brands / watts / etc?

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Maricopa, AZ
Bump :shy:

Please help! I don't want to spend $100+ on supplies only to find out that what I picked was junk. Sorry, not trying to be impatient, but I don't want to wait too long before getting everything they need. Thank you!

DanieltheAnvil

5 Year Member
Bradenton, Florida
temp and humidity gauges. I didnt see any in the pic but they are so important. oh wait I see that in your need list. good job.

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Maricopa, AZ
Thank you! The main thing I'm questioning is the mini domes vs. the larger ones. Right now I have them in a 40g aquarium, but I plan on getting a larger tub or buying a tort table soon. The aquarium works ok for right now, but seems too small with the hide, water dish, etc. in it.

schmodygirl

5 Year Member
mesa, az
This is where we need Tom.... he knows everything :) I swear he is my tortoise idol. Maybe try sending him a PM?

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Maricopa, AZ
Lol I've been hoping he'd respond. He definitely seems to be the tortoise guru around here! I thought about sending him a PM, but didn't want to bug him. I'm sure he gets hounded with questions that he's answered 100 times. I've read through so many things, but haven't found much as far as specific brands, etc. I'm just afraid I'll spend all this money and then end up replacing stuff when there was something better I could've started with.

TOM, ARE YOU OUT THERE? Lol :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think a bigger indoor enclosure will be needed really soon. Look into a big closed chamber instead of tubs and open topped tables.

I like to use orchid bark, coco coir or cypress much for substrate.

Spring mix is a good start, but you are going to need more and better foods soon. "Salad Style" is a good product to add to grocery store greens until you get up to speed and start growing your own weeds and grasses. Post some pics of your weeds. They might be good.

Outdoors, I'd get 2x10s, and you might as well go 4x8' or 8x8' :). Also, chicken wire is not very effective. Dogs, coyotes and raccoons can get through it. Welded wire works best, but hardware cloth is okay too. Since it gets soooo hot in AZ, you will really need to provide some substantial shade. Your bucket will work for a hide, but the BUCKET will need to be in the shade too. I highly recommend making an underground hide of some sort for them. You can just hand dig a little burrow for them to get out of the sun. You might have to teach them how to use it though.

On your shopping list: I'd get the bigger single domes instead of double minis. I prefer flood bulbs to the spots now. That care sheet is two years old... You can buy them at any hardware store and save some money. The rest of your list is good.

Overall I think you are doing an excellent job. Much of this is just personal opinion and preference. I'm just sharing the nit-picky things that I prefer.

I like to use a 50-65 watt regular flood bulb set on a 12 hour timer and adjust the height of the fixture so that the basking spot is around 100. Then I set the CHE on its own thermostat at around 80. This maintains the ambient day and night. These two things work well together and if you cover most of the top, it works even better.

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Maricopa, AZ
Thank you! Any recommendations on a closed chamber I can buy? I'm not all that handy so building one isn't really in the cards for me Lol.

I'll take a pic of the weeds tomorrow, but I highly doubt they are good. They're not green or leafy. They are the pokey dry ones, kind of like tumble weeds. My yard is nothing but dirt and those horrible weeds. I have pulled them a few times and they keep coming back. I need to have it all tilled I think and start planting from there.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I thought about what you said about not being handy and that shouldnt stop you. I came up with something pretty clever even though im sure im not the only person to think about this but how about going to the local junior high or high school shop teacher and see if he will have the class build you an enclosure if you provide the materials. I bet it would come out pretty nice. Im sure the teacher is always looking for new and unique projects to challenge the kids so give it a shot. Oh and you might as well make it BIG!

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Maricopa, AZ
That's a good idea. I think I'm just incredibly overwhelmed at this point and can't make up my mind on what to do. I thought the aquarium I had would be a good starting point, wrong. I got 2 sulcata hatchlings, wrong. I've looked at so many pics of enclosures and read so many ideas that my head is spinning. Ahhh! I really wish there was a "tortoise starter kit" I could just buy in one bunch.

I was thinking about buying the zoo med tortoise house to start with. Anyone have any thoughts on that or how long it might last? It's only 99 dollars, so I'm ok with it only lasting a short time while I figure out how to get a bigger table built.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
100 would buy a lot of plywood. You could build a nice 4x8 for that. I would avoid premade enclosures, make your own and save some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.