Shorty's weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix Arizona
I want to start weighing shorty to make sure he is gaining weight and growing as he should. I am sure i can find information on how much he should be growing on this site, but i did want ask: can any of you suggest what type of scale i should be getting? food scale? postal scale? anything specific i should look for?

I already saw the post on how to measure him so I will start doing that tomorrow (he has already gone to bed).

When I picked up Short Round:tort: this morning I noticed he felt more weighty like a stone. when he was given to me i remember thinking he was light as a feather like there was nothing to him. i thought it was normal because he is so small, but now i think he must have been dehydrated.:( I had no idea till i picked him up this morning:(. thanks to the information i found on this forum i have been soaking him twice a day, spraying him every chance i get and he has water in his enclosure. but now i feel i need to start checking his weight and growth to help me (as a new owner) identify possible problems such as dehydration.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Water can add weigh to a tortoise, and you want them to feel like a heavy stone and not just like a shell. Box turtles can actually double their weight after a good soak.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I use a digital food scale.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I use a digital food scale purchased at target as well. It works really well!

Status
Not open for further replies.