Should I add these to my hibiscus?

leoturt

Location (City and/or State)
Western Canada
I'm reporting my rose of Sharon and hibiscus soon and am wondering if I should add these fertilizers to the soil during repotting.
The small green balls were already in the soil of my hibiscus....IMG_20200612_203506.jpg

I think it's the same thing thats in this bottle I bought from a garden center? ->
IMG_20200612_203520.jpg

Would it be safe to add these to my plan?

Or

We have fish pond water with fish poop in it, and also have chicken poop manuer that I can also use. We bought horse poop manuer that we added to our garden bed. Or should I use some liquid fertilizer instead of any of these?(unless ppl mean liquid fert as in something like pond water that I already have?)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Myself, I do nothing with my Hibiscus.
They get watered when it rains. They get fertilized.....never.
Depending on where you live and the soil you use, it may not be necessary at all.
However, that fertilizer is for human consumed foods. I'm not sure it'd be good for flowers.
Hibiscus are very hardy plants

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Plants like Hibiscus & Rose of Sharon do need to be fertilized if they are growing in pots & you want them to flourish & produce blooms/blossoms. So, I’m guessing you want flowers & healthy foliage, so yes fertlize. I usually use Miracle Grow every few weeks during the Summer growing season. Personally, i really don’t use those pelletized slow release fertilizers because it’s hard to tell really how much the plant has.

Is your plant in your tortoises enclosure, or just outside in a sunny location?

In a quick search on the issue -The key to success with heavy-feeding hibiscus plants is to fertilize lightly and often. Hibiscus should be fertilized at least once a month throughout the growing season, and the schedule should be kept up regularly.

Good luck

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
It is usually better not to fertilize much when you first plant. Plants are usually heavily fertilized by the grower/nursery and when planted you want them using energy to grow roots, not leaves. I would wait until next spring to fertilize anything planted for the remainder of the year.

Here, hardy hibiscus might benefit from fertilizer but they certainly don’t need it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It is usually better not to fertilize much when you first plant. Plants are usually heavily fertilized by the grower/nursery and when planted you want them using energy to grow roots, not leaves. I would wait until next spring to fertilize anything planted for the remainder of the year.

Here, hardy hibiscus might benefit from fertilizer but they certainly don’t need it.

Yes. Good points on newly purchased nursery plants. The Hibiscus i have is probably five or more years in a pot. It has definitely used up any original fertilizers.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
If you're concerned about the type or amount of fertilizer to use, keep in mind that liquid fertilizer (liquids you dilute or powders you mix in water before watering the plant with them) can be a good option. If you're willing to do it regularly, you can water "weakly, weekly" with low amounts of liquid fertilizer during the plant's active growing season.