Should I Adopt this Pit Bull?

Kelly.324

Location (City and/or State)
Durham UK
when you got your rescue how did/long did you leave her alone because she would be alone for about 8 hours a day or the dog might not be fit for me as i read a bunch of blogs talking about how they need a companion (human) at all times and get destructive if bored.

No dog can be left alone for 8 hours a day. 4 hours is the most a dog can be left alone, although many can’t cope with that.

Oogway the russian tort

No dog can be left alone for 8 hours a day. 4 hours is the most a dog can be left alone, although many can’t cope with that.
Even if she is 6yrs old. I thought puppies and youngs needed more interactions as they are full of energy i suspected and read old dogs mostly sleep if walked in the morning before leaving.

Kelly.324

Durham UK
No, perhaps some dogs may be okay, but it’s certainly not recommend and is not fair on the animal. I volunteer at the Dogs Trust, a rehoming charity near me, and they do not recommend a dog be left for more than 4 hours.

Are you able to arrange a dog walker to come in once or twice a day whilst you’re out?

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Even if she is 6yrs old. I thought puppies and youngs needed more interactions as they are full of energy i suspected and read old dogs mostly sleep if walked in the morning before leaving.

Also, do you know anything about her history? What have the shelter told you and have they done any assessments on her? She looks like a lovely dog and I hope you can adopt her but, as I said, you need to make sure you’re the right person for her before bringing her home.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
At 6 she's probably calmed down considerably. I've had a few pits in my life and they do take a little longer than most dogs to grow out of the wild puppy stage. It is my experience that they usually really calm down and become less mischievous "Adult dogs"around 4-5yrs.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
How do you become dominant towards pit bulls with out being al yelling and hitting.
Regular leash training does this. I would start with one of the softer training collars (like one that also encircles the snot) before ever going to a pinch collar and never use a choke chain. If you have a chocke chain the only thing they are good for is securing gates. You may be tired, rushed, over-booked or just want a lazy day but immediate and regular training will only strengthen your bond with the dog. After that positive (head pats or tiny treats) to reaffirm any behavior that you want to continue. NO works okay,but for some dogs seperation/isolation is the best. My Shiloh knows exactly what "Room" is!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How do you become dominant towards pit bulls with out being al yelling and hitting.
Hitting and yelling is not dominance. They are both signs of being out of control and/or abuse!
Patience, proper corrections, calm but stern voice, consistency and everyone being on the same page is the proper way. Treats can help or clicker correct but not needed.
If yelling and hitting is all you know to do to train a dog then don't get a dog until you have researched on proper training. Heck watch the Dog Whisperer, he's a great start.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, perhaps some dogs may be okay, but it’s certainly not recommend and is not fair on the animal. I volunteer at the Dogs Trust, a rehoming charity near me, and they do not recommend a dog be left for more than 4 hours.

Are you able to arrange a dog walker to come in once or twice a day whilst you’re out?
Please, adult dogs can easily be left for 8 hours. Do you know how many dogs would be homeless if they couldnt last a days work shift? Is it better if they weren't, well of course. However, it's not going to hurt them one bit. More rescues need to educate themselves on the animals they are rescuing! They aren't doing the homeless dogs any favors with that kind of ignorance.

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Please, adult dogs can easily be left for 8 hours. Do you know how many dogs would be homeless if they couldnt last a days work shift? Is it better if they weren't, well of course. However, it's not going to hurt them one bit. More rescues need to educate themselves on the animals they are rescuing! They aren't doing the homeless dogs any favors with that kind of ignorance.

They really can’t be left 8 hours, they’d at least need someone to pop home and let them into the garden half through the day, and that’s at the very least. I’ve volunteered with rescue dogs for a long time and many come to the centre because of exactly that, they’re being left alone all day whilst their owner is at work and they often become destructive or get separation anxiety.
As I said to the OP, if they’re able to arrange a dog walker that would be a workable solution to stop the dog being left alone too long.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'd have to agree. A dog can do fine by itself. If that was the case nobody who has a job would be able to own a dog.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just as an example, I went on a day trip out of town yesterday and left my 70lb doberman in my room with the door open (my room is her over-grown crate, in other words, her safe place). When I got home about 7 hours later, she was very glad to seem me, and there was no destruction in the house, no pee on the floor, everything was fine. My dog is very attached to me, never straying out of sight of me at any time inside or outside. She was fine.

Having said all that, I wouldn't go off and leave a brand new dog home alone for any length of time until he used to his new home and comfortable in his surroundings.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yelling and hitting doesn't make you dominant. It makes you appear scary to the dog and like a lunatic to nearby people.

Dominance is conveyed in many many ways. If you are within a dogs five senses, you are "training" that dog. One way or another, intentionally or not, the dog is learning.

You gain dominance by being a good leader, handling the leash correctly, and enforcing your will without making the dog feel threatened or defensive. Correction and discipline is okay, but it must be fair, consistent and understandable by the dog. Praise is even more important and must be timed and delivered correctly. Whole books are written on the subject. Its not something that can be easily explained in a few sentences here, try as I might. I'm the boss of my dogs, but I'm a fair and even-handed boss. They will do what I say, but if I've done my job, they want to do what I say. Good behavior is rewarded and encouraged, while bad behavior is either prevented, or punished appropriately for the situation.

Kelly.324

Durham UK
This is not true at all. This statement is someone's "feelings" about dogs, not factual information.

As I’ve said, I’ve volunteered at a rescue centre for several years and separation anxiety is one of the main issues we see with dogs. Whilst some dogs are fine being left alone it’s something the OP needs to be aware of and where I volunteer doesn’t recommend they are left for more than about 4 hours at a time.
But each dog/set of circumstances is different.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Regular leash training does this. I would start with one of the softer training collars (like one that also encircles the snot) before ever going to a pinch collar and never use a choke chain. If you have a chocke chain the only thing they are good for is securing gates. You may be tired, rushed, over-booked or just want a lazy day but immediate and regular training will only strengthen your bond with the dog. After that positive (head pats or tiny treats) to reaffirm any behavior that you want to continue. NO works okay,but for some dogs seperation/isolation is the best. My Shiloh knows exactly what "Room" is!
I like your post over all, but every single person will have different opinions on tools and techniques. For example: I despise those "halti" type horse bridle things for dogs. They avoid solving the problem and instead offer a way to avoid the problem by giving the person a better mechanical advantage. This is not "training".

Likewise, used correctly, choke chains are a fine training tool. As are prong collars in some situations. In other situations, a flat collar and different techniques will be best. I work with dogs that literally cover this spectrum on a daily basis.

Something to consider in this discussion is that I'm the guy that gets called in the really hard cases. I get called when other trainers and vets have told people to euthanize the dog. I solve these problems and "fix" these dogs and owners. At the same time, I frequently work with very well-adjusted, well-trained dogs that need the gentlest of hands and no corrections at all. Because of all of this, my opinions and feelings on these questions might different from the norm.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I agree with Tom and others on the time. If I didn't have a doggie door than maybe 11 max but I have had to seperate my Shiloh after neutering and he went 10.5 several times like a champ. Nww bear in mind the time spent away is equal to the need for your attention!!! We had a Pomeranian years ago that was the best car rider ever. Asleep before we got on the highway and could hold his bladder way longer than any trip he went on ever (8 hours)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They really can’t be left 8 hours, they’d at least need someone to pop home and let them into the garden half through the day, and that’s at the very least. I’ve volunteered with rescue dogs for a long time and many come to the centre because of exactly that, they’re being left alone all day whilst their owner is at work and they often become destructive or get separation anxiety.
As I said to the OP, if they’re able to arrange a dog walker that would be a workable solution to stop the dog being left alone too long.
But your information is wrong. Most Any dog ending up as a rescue was never treated or trained properly. If you or your rescue are promoting this information you are not helping the dogs and are giving out wrong bad info. A dog with anxiety needs to be trained properly. A dog with anxiety can freak out because the owner was gone for 5 seconds. Proper training will prevent this, not a person showing up 4 hours later. A lot of animal/dog rescues have no business rescuing animals. Their hearts in the right place but they don't have the knowledge to do a proper job.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As I’ve said, I’ve volunteered at a rescue centre for several years and separation anxiety is one of the main issues we see with dogs. Whilst some dogs are fine being left alone it’s something the OP needs to be aware of and where I volunteer doesn’t recommend they are left for more than about 4 hours at a time.
But each dog/set of circumstances is different.
I understand where you are coming from Kelly. Its not a bad recommendation, but I and others are pointing out, that it is not realistic, or reasonable for all people and all dogs. Its fine if you and the people at your rescue feel this way, but the rest of the world sees it otherwise, and most of them get along with their dogs just fine.