• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Should I be seeing live pinworms?!?!?

OkAdiza

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello,
Just wanted to give an update. Otsokrikri completed his second round of Meds this past weekend and I took a fecal sample into the Vet today. Got a call a little while ago that the sample was clear of parasites! Hooray! I’m planning to move him out of the enclosure tonight so I can get everything out and clean. He has NOT liked being on newspaper these past few weeks. Anything else I should ask the Vet?

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ok, so I am freaking out a bit over here. I took my Hermann's to the vet Oct.10 for a general health appointment and found out he had two types of parasites; pinworms and some type of amobea. I was given two different medications for him; Pyrantel dewormer to take 3 days in a row then I will need to repeat in three weeks and then Metronidazole that he took five days in a row after the first dose of the Pyrantel. I believe I had seen some dead ones in his poop a few days after the first dose, but today I was soaking him and he pooped out a rather large looking live one:eek:. Horrible on my part, I never asked if I should have taken out all his substrate or if I should be seeing live worms. Should I be seeing live worms? Do I need to completely clean out his enclosure until he has finished his next round? I just started reading some older forum posts, but wanted to ask because I didn't see anything about live ones. Are they really that big??? Yuck!
Thanks for any help.
I'm still having nightmares about what came out of my Tortoises.