Should I be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
When I came back form work yesterday afternoon, There was poo almost everywhere in Hermy's house and when he came out of his hide he was all covered in poo. So I put him in a bath and I brushed his shell gently with a baby toothbrush. After that when I put him back in his hide. He was doing sudden movement and his tail was moving as if he wanted to poo or urinate and he was farting (sorry for the expression) I put him back in a bath and after that he was doing the same thing. It was really weird his tail was moving all the time. so I put him in a second bath and when he was in it I was handfeeding him cactus pads (he really loves them :D) I called the new vet and I spoke with a tecnician. I explain her the situation, she told me that since Hermy was moving and eating, it was not necessary that I bring Hermy right away but she told me that if Hermy does the same thing saturday, I should bring him because he could have parasites. Now he just woke up and he looks fine and he does not do the same thing as yesterday. What do you think, does anyone knows if it is normal what Hermy did yesterday?

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
Did you feed him something spicy? A little batch of Mexican greens or something? ; )

Seriously, he's probably OK, but it's worth thinking through what he had eaten recently as it sounds like it didn't agree with him system, kind of like when I eat too much spicy food.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
RTfanatic said:
Did you feed him something spicy? A little batch of Mexican greens or something? ; )

Seriously, he's probably OK, but it's worth thinking through what he had eaten recently as it sounds like it didn't agree with him system, kind of like when I eat too much spicy food.
Thanks tortoise fanatic
No, he ate chicory and endive yesterday BUT he was eating a bit of sphagmum moss (like 1 bite) when it all started, maybe he did not digest that.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Some keepers have told of loose movements when introducing torts to cactus (I haven't noticed this as mine get prickly pear as part of normal diet) which likely due to high fibre and mosture content of this plant.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
Did he farts smell?! :)

Sorry, but I couldn't resist!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Itort said:
Some keepers have told of loose movements when introducing torts to cactus (I haven't noticed this as mine get prickly pear as part of normal diet) which likely due to high fibre and mosture content of this plant.

Thanks Larry, maybe it could be that but he had some cactus pads for the first time of his life last week and nothing happened. At least, he only did that one evening, since yesterday morning he is ok and hungry like 10 pigglets together :)

siwash said:
Did he farts smell?! :)

Sorry, but I couldn't resist!

haha no Rob, it did not smell :D

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
oh goodness! I've not been on here in a couple days and I am almost in tears!!! Thanks guys! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.