Should I buy a baby leo fed grains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveInLA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi guys, I'm interested in buying a baby leo from a local guy who says he breeds leopards. He's got a collection of baby leos that all look and act healty. However, he told me that he feeds them grains in addition to various grasses, leafy lettuces, weeds, and carrots. Some of the larger babies (3-4") have some pyramiding but none of the babies do.

Would you buy a baby leopard (3-4 mo) that has been fed grains? If I were to do this, I would obviously change the diet, but would a bad diet at a young age have lasting effects?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt it. After all, what is grain but the seed on the grass. They probably eat it in the wild too.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
more important is hydration... ask him what his routine is with that.. are they kept moist and warm or dry and warm..

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I would ask him a few questions about how he takes care of his tortoises. Is he willing to show any pictures of the parents, his hatchling setup, etc? I breed and sell Leos and I would provide any pictures that I have (and I take a lot) as well as a care sheet, other typed-info I have on hand, and answer any questions someone had. You can usually tell from talking with someone for a few minutes if they properly take care of their tortoises or not. Good luck and please post pictures when you get one!!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm with Laura in that hydration would be what I would question. I would think grains would be OK for a tortoise. When buying a tortoise, I really don't care what they have been fed as long as they have some good stuff here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.