should I change substrate to just one

Holly'sMom

belle seems to only like the one side of our enclosure. The side w coconut fiber. I have a layers starting w a layer of plain top soil mixed w zoo med forest floor(50/50) on the bottom of all. then a 2nd layer of plain top soil, Then one end the top layer is just soil, the other is loose coconut fiber they're mixed in the middle. She only seems to stay on the side w the top layer of coconut fiber. I've tried moving lights/heat/fixtures around and she still prefers the one side I'm getting ready to clean out the substrate so I'm curious if I should just make the top layer completely across the coconut fiber? I know it's prob extreme the layering but I didn't like the mulch it was poking into her making me worry. The same w forest floor even when mixed w soil but it helps keep the humidity so I added layers over it. It's about 4-5inch of substrate total

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If your noticing her staying to one end and everything on the other end is good, temps, then yes, I would put coir all over.

Holly'sMom

I feel bad she's only using 1/2 the enclosure but I was worried not giving the option was worse plus the top soils cheaper than the loose coconut fiber at Petco haha but thanks I feel better now about my decision

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For a baby sulcata, right?

I would't use any of those. Fine grade Orchid bark works best. Like this:
IMG_0980.JPG

You can buy this giant bag at a garden center for about $10. I start dozens of hatchlings a year on this stuff.

Holly'sMom

Can I ask why you wouldn't use any of the ones I'm using? My first into pics I believe show the enclosure w the mulch. We had used the mulch at first but it seemed to be poking her as she walked and we worried she's end up hurting herself

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can I ask why you wouldn't use any of the ones I'm using? My first into pics I believe show the enclosure w the mulch. We had used the mulch at first but it seemed to be poking her as she walked and we worried she's end up hurting herself

I don't like coir because its too messy for this species and it gets everywhere. I do like coir for Testudo and DTs.
I don't like soil because you can't know what its made of and its too messy. It turns to mud. It might be made of composted oleander or grass with chemicals all over it.
I don't like cypress mulch because the pieces are not uniform enough and there tend to be large chunks and sharp points. It also tends to smell like a swamp and each time I've used it, I've had to spend a lot of time, effort and water to rinse and clean it first. I also don't like the idea of deforesting the cypress swamps.

Fine grade orchid bark is less messy, doesn't turn to mud, doesn't stink, is relatively uniform in size, doesn't have sharp edges or points, gives little hatchling good traction for walking, is a sustainable product, works well damp to aid in maintaining adequate humidity and it resists mold and fungus.

Holly'sMom

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474310958.099612.jpg
What worries me is she's going to hurt herself poking w the mulch. When we first got her it looked like there was a little like brown marker on her face and I assumed it was just you know coloring well now that she's getting bigger you can see it looks like there's a big gal just taking out above her beak kind of in between her eyes like I guess where her nose would be a just concerns me if I use Mulch that this may happen again. The breeder said that's what caused it before we got her. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474311119.003962.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises get dirty. That's natural. They also collect knocks, marks, scratches and scrapes as they bumble round, dig and walk through or over things rather than round them. You can't keep them pristine forever.

Nobody on here would recommend a substrate that would harm an animal.

Holly'sMom

Trying to get a good pic it looks like a white spot now

WImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474311166.632824.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474311569.417254.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474311512.278647.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474311512.278647.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0

Holly'sMom

Also sorry I was using voice to text lol I'm surprised anyone could read that!