Should I do anything, tortoise ate a toxic leaf?

TortyDxb

Location (City and/or State)
uae
one of the new 4 month olds in our care ate an entire leaf (more than the size of her) of a miniature eggplant plant. Not the fruit.

The leaf looks like fig leaves and it didn’t occur to me to check ...

She’s basically finished and gone off for a sleep, shall I do anything or just let it play out? Any thoughts welcome. I know I should’ve done some research. Kicking myself now.

She loved it, incidentally and nearly got started on another.

Photo of the plant attached, which I’m guessing should be drop kicked now.

Attachments

• A93EE8EC-8A48-4BCF-AC4F-8E4ED3D0D678.jpeg
    A93EE8EC-8A48-4BCF-AC4F-8E4ED3D0D678.jpeg
    755.6 KB · Views: 46

Sesel

Seychelles
one of the new 4 month olds in our care ate an entire leaf (more than the size of her) of a miniature eggplant plant. Not the fruit.

The leaf looks like fig leaves and it didn’t occur to me to check ...

She’s basically finished and gone off for a sleep, shall I do anything or just let it play out? Any thoughts welcome. I know I should’ve done some research. Kicking myself now.

She loved it, incidentally and nearly got started on another.

Photo of the plant attached, which I’m guessing should be drop kicked now.

How is the tortoise?

PS, btw nice eggplant plant :D

TortyDxb

uae
How is the tortoise?

PS, btw nice eggplant plant :D

Absolutely fine! eating like a champion and no sign of any issue at all. If she could she's eat the entire plant.

Thanks for following up @Sesel appreciate it.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Solanum melongena this is the species that yield the edible fruit we call eggplant. Other species in the night shade family are indeed toxic to livestock that happen upon it and eat it. But tomato is also a nightshade and you can put leaves from tomato plants in salads and sauces.

Here is the database from Feedipedia which indicate the wild weedy types are deadly to livestock. Tortoises are different. Keep a close watch for a few weeks. https://www.feedipedia.org/search/node/Solanum

TortyDxb

uae
Solanum melongena this is the species that yield the edible fruit we call eggplant. Other species in the night shade family are indeed toxic to livestock that happen upon it and eat it. But tomato is also a nightshade and you can put leaves from tomato plants in salads and sauces.

Here is the database from Feedipedia which indicate the wild weedy types are deadly to livestock. Tortoises are different. Keep a close watch for a few weeks. https://www.feedipedia.org/search/node/Solanum

Thanks - I’ll dodge the plant from now on, I was getting ahead of myself at a garden Centre. Hopefully she’ll maintain her happy eater mode (as long as I’m not watching :) )