Should I force a red foot tortoise to feed if it doesn't seem to seek food on it's own?

willee638

Location (City and/or State)
HK
I have a red foot tortoise that was possible bromating & isn't very active in seeking food on it's own, can I move her to where food is or place food in front of her to force to eat? It does appear she nibbles on it a little but ignores it soon after, how often should a healthy baby red foot eat in a day & a rough estimate amount?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are you still using that MVB bulb?
Your Redfoot is still stressed by his lighting. And may be ill.
Redfoot will not feel comfortable under bright lights or if kept too warm/hot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a red foot tortoise that was possible bromating & isn't very active in seeking food on it's own, can I move her to where food is or place food in front of her to force to eat? It does appear she nibbles on it a little but ignores it soon after, how often should a healthy baby red foot eat in a day & a rough estimate amount?
Redfooted tortoises don't brumate. And yes, you can move the tortoise to the food every time you walk past the enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Force feeding will solve nothing. You need to figure out why the tortoise isn't eating and solve THAT problem. This species does not brumate/hibernate, so if the tortoise was allowed to get too cold, this would be your issue. The solution would be warm temps 24/7 in an appropriate enclosure.

Any species of baby tortoise should eat a pile its own size every day.

Was this tortoise mixed with other species before you got it, as is so common over there? If yes, then you might be dealing with a diseased tortoise. Cold temperatures would only make this problem worse.

willee638

HK
Force feeding will solve nothing. You need to figure out why the tortoise isn't eating and solve THAT problem. This species does not brumate/hibernate, so if the tortoise was allowed to get too cold, this would be your issue. The solution would be warm temps 24/7 in an appropriate enclosure.

Any species of baby tortoise should eat a pile its own size every day.

Was this tortoise mixed with other species before you got it, as is so common over there? If yes, then you might be dealing with a diseased tortoise. Cold temperatures would only make this problem worse.
Thanks, cold temperatures could very well be one reason since it's still February & below 20 degrees Celsius here. I had taken her out to parks at noon & when the sun is hottest can reach 25-26 degrees Celsius & she was feeding on edible flowers & leaves but wasn't a copious amount, when I purchased her she was only kept with one other red foot in the same display enclosure & nothing else. I hope when the weather gradually gets warmer the situation will improve...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't you have the tortoise under lights/heat? The outside climate shouldn't have anything to do with how the tortoise is kept. You need to make sure the enclosure is in the 80sF all the time for this species. Don't let it get below that or the tortoise won't eat. If the tortoise lives outside, then you should have some sort of heated shelter for it.

willee638

HK
Don't you have the tortoise under lights/heat? The outside climate shouldn't have anything to do with how the tortoise is kept. You need to make sure the enclosure is in the 80sF all the time for this species. Don't let it get below that or the tortoise won't eat. If the tortoise lives outside, then you should have some sort of heated shelter for it.
You are absolutely correct, I do use an artificial UVA+UVB full spectrum bulb but it's probably doing a poor job of providing enough heat to my enclosure of a decent size for just one baby tortoise. I should consider adding an additional incandescent bulb or tube for heat source as well, I now put her in a warm water shallow dish & she did start eating a bit. I will heed your suggestion to go purchase a bulb for added heat sources, I don't have an outdoor enclosure because of lack of space & current temperatures does not permit.