should I get a Hermann's or Greek?

Kimmers000

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tacoma, WA
I have been reading and reading and just can't decide...

I've narrowed our first tortoise choice down to a Hermann's or a Greek. Seems to me like there are a lot of similarities in personality and overall care and general health/hardiness. Just wondering if anyone has any insight that might help me decide for sure. Anything significantly different that I'm missing... In case we get a hatchling, any thoughts as to whether one or the other is hardier as a youngster would be appreciated too!

Thanks in advance!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I personally love my Hermanns! The Greeks are great too. Although they are very similar in personalities I find my Hermann's to be very friendly, happy torts.

Kimmers000

5 Year Member
Tacoma, WA
thanks! i really can't decide, so i'm going to let availability decide for me. :) i've got some inquiries out, cross your fingers for me!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Why are you ruling out Marginated torts ? They are about size of Hermanns and they have way more personality !

Kimmers000

5 Year Member
Tacoma, WA
Dang it, I'm trying to narrow the field, not add more decisions. I might possibly be the world's most indecisive person..........

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Why are you ruling out Marginated torts ? They are about size of Hermanns and they have way more personality !
You're so helpful! I only laugh because I was thinking what about pancake tortoises? what about a box turtle?i'm sorry I'm no help either. But what ever you decide on it will be great.

Kimmers000

5 Year Member
Tacoma, WA
lalalalala - I don't hear you guys! Greek or Hermann's. Greek or Hermann's? Greek AND Hermann's? I don't even have one yet and I can sense an addiciton coming...........

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
lalalalala - I don't hear you guys! Greek or Hermann's. Greek or Hermann's? Greek AND Hermann's? I don't even have one yet and I can sense an addiciton coming...........
And Russian, and Boxturtle, and leopard, and pancake, and and and and. We should start a tortoise anonymous group.

Kimmers000

5 Year Member
Tacoma, WA
And a Dalmatian and ohhhhhh... What I really really wish I had room for is a Burmese Mountain tortoise. I really need to go to bed and stop thinking about tortoises. And figure out how to get Bill Gates to adopt me.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
And a Dalmatian and ohhhhhh... What I really really wish I had room for is a Burmese Mountain tortoise. I really need to go to bed and stop thinking about tortoises. And figure out how to get Bill Gates to adopt me.
Go for the gusto get an aldabra or Galapagos

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Firstly, a warm welcome to the forum...you'll love ithere, I can assure you.

Secondly, I have had a gorgeous Greek tort for more than three years. I must admit that at the beginning I found a lot of difficulty in dealing with it. Wiith time I began to understand it, bathe it feed it, and slowly the naughty little thing would not eat unless I hand-fed it! So whatever your decision is, good luck.

DannyandLiv

That shows. Explains a lot.

As for the question its all personal preference really :). If your happy with meeting most breeds habitats then just have a look around. A certain one might take your fancy upon viewing :).

All the best