should i get a mate for my male greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starjess81

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
KY
My greek tort, Clyde is lonely....when I let all my herps roam which are all female, he tries to hump them! And he is relentless! Should I find a female for him or will his hormones settle?

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Clyde is just doing what his instinct tells him; IMO there's no need to introduce a female unless you want to breed him.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well...I would not suggest it...for the females sake that is :D and he is not lonely...he is a tortoise....tortoise don't get the same romantic notions as some people do...they have very basic wants and some needs that drive what we see as behavior....he will be absolutely fine...:D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Male Greeks do not need company and spend an inordinate amount of time humping as you put it.

They're not fussy; anything/anyone will do. They are testosterone-fuelled and make no distinctions. Joe isn't fussy... in the absence of female tortoises, a shoe, a rock, the base of the basketball net or a seed tray will do. I saw a male Greek attempting to mate with the wrong end of another tortoise in a zoo a few years back :rolleyes:

In the wild they are solitary and in captivity they do not make good company for other tortoises. They will harry and bully any companion into submission which often leads to the decline and illness of the companion.

Status
Not open for further replies.