Should I get a tortoise?

Caitie

I have done a lot of research and think I can make the logistics of owning a tortoise work out, I just want to be sure that a tortoise is the right pet for me before I make a commitment. I already own two turtles and a frog, so I'm fine with pets that are mostly there to watch. However, I am interested in a slightly more interactive pet. I know for the most part tortoises should be left alone, but can they be trained/played with? I want to establish a bond with my tortoise and want to make sure this is possible before getting one.

Overall, what are the pros and cons of owning a tortoise? I'd love to just hear about your experiences with owning one so I can imagine what it will be like to have my own :)

Thank you!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Caitie
I don't know if I'm saying this right but I will try and I hope you'll understand I mean the best thoughts . But torts are a lot like children I'd love to feed them just what makes them happy ( fruit ) but like a child they have to eat their greens . I would love to let them run free in the house but they might get hurt . I don't like giveing them meds but I want them to feel better . Like with a child you have to do what they don't want you to so they will love you later some times much later !

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
I have had several different water turtle species and I'm convinced they only 'loved' me when it was time to eat. My tort however will come out when she hears my voice. I can hand feed her without the fear of my finger going with it. Some torts will become so docile you can run their necks and will hang out with you in the yard. Just my observations of having both over the last 8 years or so :0)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, if you want a pet you can interact with, get a dog. Yes, some tortoises are human-friendly. But really, most of them are solitary creatures that want to be left alone.

phebe121

I love my torts really have no cons just they are work with soaks and misting the coconut coir,the right food ,the right size housing,getting outside time,lights,heat, and what size tort fits your living environment

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I always owned dogs and cats never reptiles. But then one day I got a Russian tortoise, and I was really surprised how interesting they are. I know also own a box turtle. No they are not all that interactive and less you have food in your hand :) but they do have their routines, and they learn yours. They do react to your voice and some will come to you.my Russian likes her head scratched.I think mostly they look at me as the food God. but both my little shell the critters have a ton of personality, just different than a dog or a cat. some species are more outgoing than others but individuals in every species have variable personalities. I find that the start up costs are relatively high, but once you have everything set up and running it's not nearly as expensive.this is somewhat dependent on where you live and if the tortoise will live indoors, outdoors, or a combination of both. I have never raised a young tortoise but maybe if you got a hatchling it would be more interactive but no guarantees.hatchlings are also more fragile and harder to take care of. I am not trying to talk you into or out of a tortoise but there are many things to consider.I think if you are an animal lover and you are okay with letting the animal be themselves and you are content with letting them do tortoise things such as sleeping, eating, walking around, basking in the sun, then you would find on a tortoise rewarding. but if your main goal is interaction and bonding then a dog might be better for you right now.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My view of the pros/cons..

Pro-
Quiet
Odorless
No fleas
No training needed
No "walks, exercise"
No smelly litterbox
No pet hair everywhere
Pretty to look at
I enjoy watching them just move about or graze. It's peaceful and calming
No fleas....yes I say it again lol
Cool to your friends ;)

Cons-
Hmm...I don't have any?

I guess some could say-
You invest a lot of time and$ into something that could care less about you...
It doesn't love you back
You can't cuddle it
But none of those "cons" bother me. If/when we want that...we'll get a family dog.

They make great pets to gardeners who want a living, moving garden ornament! LOL

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
if you've done the research and truly understand what it needs and feel you are up to it then go ahead one thing i will say is i wouldn't make the mistake of putting human emotion's on a tort you can love it but dont expect them to love you back you are simply food god who brings treats

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
if you are unsure, if you need encouragement, then no, don't do it. If you don't care what anyone thinks and you're determined to make it work and do whatever it takes, then yes.

Caitie

Thanks guys this is all really helpful :) I actually do have a dog as well, so I don't need that interactive of a pet, but I would like something that I can bond with a little bit. I will do further research about what breeds have "personalities" and think further if a tortoise is a practical pet for me. Thank you again!