Should I go with the 100w or 160w?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Amanda~

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hi there,
I have a 40 gallon tank setup (starting out size for my future baby Russian) and currently have a 100w Powersun bulb in there that provides both heat and UV light.

I have it over the left side of the tank, where the basking spot is. The rest of the tank area has an ambient temperature in the 70's, which is good. The area directly under the lamp (about a third of the tank) has a temperature of about 85.

It doesn't seem to be working as I want it to. I want an ambient temperature in about the 70's range, and a basking temperature in the 90's range. How can I achieve this? Should I get the 160w instead?

I appreciate your input.
Amanda

P.S. To measure the temperatures I used a point and shoot thermometer.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I think going to a 160 watt light may bring your ambient temps up much higher also. One thing you can try with the existing 100 watt light is to cover the sides in the basking area with heavy paper on the outside of the tank to help retain the heat inside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I always buy the 100 watt bulbs. I figure if its not warm enough I can always buy a bigger one. But I've found that anything bigger is just too hot.

~Amanda~

5 Year Member
New Jersey
jjsull33 said:
Maybe you can lower the lamp you have, that should make the spot below it a bit hotter

I do have the bulb as low as it can go.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
~Amanda~ said:
Hi there,
I have a 40 gallon tank setup (starting out size for my future baby Russian) and currently have a 100w Powersun bulb in there that provides both heat and UV light.

I have it over the left side of the tank, where the basking spot is. The rest of the tank area has an ambient temperature in the 70's, which is good. The area directly under the lamp (about a third of the tank) has a temperature of about 85.

It doesn't seem to be working as I want it to. I want an ambient temperature in about the 70's range, and a basking temperature in the 90's range. How can I achieve this? Should I get the 160w instead?

I appreciate your input.
Amanda

P.S. To measure the temperatures I used a point and shoot thermometer.

I have both. When it was really cold the 160W worked as the temps are increasing in the 40s verses the 20s and lower I went down to the 100 w bulb because the 160w got too hot.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
This is an example of why I am not a fan of the 'all-in-one' bulbs. It can be hard to manage all three aspects to get what you want.

In your situation, I would suggest adding a CHE in about the middle. It will boost the warm end and help overall. Also, it is tough to offer a 20 degree gradient in only a 40 gallon tank.

Having said that, my lighting philosophy is:
- Regular incandescent or 'superwhite' fluorescent mounted high enough to light the whole thing moderately dimly. Set on a 12-14 hour timer.
- Long-tube-type, low wattage/low-output UVB bulb set lower (per instructions) and on for about 8-10 hours a day.
- CHE or two on thermostats to control the temps- one big one in the hot end, and a smaller one in the middle. (I keep cheapo 'sun lamps' from the hardware store as back-ups)

My reasons for this are that I can control each aspect exactly the way I want, if one bulb goes out, the others will keep everything safe until I can replace it, and I can make a nice big 'pool' of heat and UVB for more natural basking.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
All good suggestions. I am surprised that your temps aren't higher under the bulb, but that may just be the way it is.
Do you have an accurate thermometer; digital with probe or infared thermometer?

~Amanda~

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thanks everyone for your opinions and input.

lynnedit said:
All good suggestions. I am surprised that your temps aren't higher under the bulb, but that may just be the way it is.
Do you have an accurate thermometer; digital with probe or infared thermometer?

It's a point a shoot that uses an infrared beam. I can get the temperature of an exact location in the tank, which is very helpful. It can also scan the tank and tell me the area with the highest and the area with the lowest temperature.

I'm pleased with the temperatures in every area of the tank except for the basking. It seems as though the beam is not concentrated enough and spreads out over a larger area rather than on just the basking rock, but that has to be expected when using only one bulb. I'll have to think about this issue a bit more but I do agree that the 160w does seem like it would be a bit too much.

Thanks again guys!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds like you have the right thermometer! Perhaps covering part of the tank, or an extra house bulb or CHE adjacent might help.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Madkins007 said:
This is an example of why I am not a fan of the 'all-in-one' bulbs. It can be hard to manage all three aspects to get what you want.

In your situation, I would suggest adding a CHE in about the middle. It will boost the warm end and help overall. Also, it is tough to offer a 20 degree gradient in only a 40 gallon tank.

Having said that, my lighting philosophy is:
- Regular incandescent or 'superwhite' fluorescent mounted high enough to light the whole thing moderately dimly. Set on a 12-14 hour timer.
- Long-tube-type, low wattage/low-output UVB bulb set lower (per instructions) and on for about 8-10 hours a day.
- CHE or two on thermostats to control the temps- one big one in the hot end, and a smaller one in the middle. (I keep cheapo 'sun lamps' from the hardware store as back-ups)

My reasons for this are that I can control each aspect exactly the way I want, if one bulb goes out, the others will keep everything safe until I can replace it, and I can make a nice big 'pool' of heat and UVB for more natural basking.

You took the words right out of my mouth! Well said Mark! I completely agree with your reasoning and method.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What do you mean the bulb is as low as it can go? Is it resting on a screen top? If yes, there is your problem.

I can get a 100 degree basking spot with a 35 watt flood if I lower the fixture enough.

The screen top is blocking much of your heat, light, and UV. Ditch it, suspend your fixture from over head, and lower your bulb a couple inches and watch the temperature climb.

Status
Not open for further replies.