Should I hibernate George or not???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, UK
Ok, should I hibernate my lil man I rescued in October, and had been attacked and didn't eat for ages? I personally would rather not hibernate him, as I am worried he's not healthy enough. My vet told me not to hibernate him this year, but a tortoise expert has said it messes their body clock up if they're not hibernated. He says he thinks George has metabolic bone disease as well as severe pyramiding from poor care wherever he came from. However, he still advised that I should hibernate him, but for no longer than 6 weeks. I really don't know what to do! He's an Eastern Hermans, and weighs just over 400g, and is about 5 inches long, and has been aged between 5 and 10 years. I would never forgive myself if he died! :( Is it really that detrimental to their health if a tortoise that naturally hibernates in the wild, is not hibernated? I want what's best for him, but I am really not comfortable with the thought of hibernating him this year! Your thoughts would be much appreciated, thank you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I believe you should never hibernate a new (under a year) or a sick tortoise, My advice keep him awake this year,

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Thank you, his lights are on for 12 hours, they're on a timer, should I up the time?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Has he hibernated before? If not (or if you don't know) then don't do it! Just provide extreme temps in your set-up. And when I say extreme, I mean 90-100 at one end...and 65-70 at the cool end.

M

Maggie Cummings

If he were mine I would not hibernate him this year. He is not healthy enough. There is no real reason to hibernate him. It does NOT mess up any internal clock. besides, if you don't hibernate him, you'll get to play with him all winter...

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Thank you for your replies. Looks like I will not be hibernating him this year! At his hot end, it is 34 degrees C, and the cooler end is room temperature, and our house is pretty warm all the time. He is eating well at the mo, and I also see him drinking every day too.

Oh, and as he was a rescue that was found in someones garden, I have no idea if he's ever been hibernated before!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Given his activity and the ambience...I'd say you're doing fine!;)

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Thank you, I try to make sure everything's right for him! I love that little guy! I don't know what it is about tortoises, but they are just so special! :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
*Amber* said:
Ok, should I hibernate my lil man I rescued in October, and had been attacked and didn't eat for ages? I personally would rather not hibernate him, as I am worried he's not healthy enough. My vet told me not to hibernate him this year, but a tortoise expert has said it messes their body clock up if they're not hibernated. He says he thinks George has metabolic bone disease as well as severe pyramiding from poor care wherever he came from. However, he still advised that I should hibernate him, but for no longer than 6 weeks. I really don't know what to do! He's an Eastern Hermans, and weighs just over 400g, and is about 5 inches long, and has been aged between 5 and 10 years. I would never forgive myself if he died! :( Is it really that detrimental to their health if a tortoise that naturally hibernates in the wild, is not hibernated? I want what's best for him, but I am really not comfortable with the thought of hibernating him this year! Your thoughts would be much appreciated, thank you.

In about 40 years of tortoise keeping, I've never hibernated any of mine and they're all perfectly healthy. Your tortoise expert is giving you poor advice...not brumating a tortoise has no bad effects, but brumating one not in perfect health can often be fatal.

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Thank you very much for your reply, I will not be hibernating George this year! Hopefully in the Spring and Summer, he will feed up well, and gain strength and become healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.