Should I panic or just be ANGRY

Status
Not open for further replies.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
I had two turtles shipped to me from the forbidden State of NJ. I don't think the person sending them knew the laws and I was not familiar either until I read some of the old threads about shipping.

Anyway, the person was turned down at UPS and FEDEX, so they Priority Expressed them through USPS. That is where the bad news comes in. Since the shipper is not returning my phone calls this morning, I do not know when USPS promised them as a delivery date or time. The seller led me to believe that this was going to be an overnight ship and the turtles will get to me tomorrow. Which I had planned for, because I am off of work. What is listed on USPS tracking site for my turtles is Thursday at 3 pm. That is 50+ hours to be shipped and the sad part is, I will be at work when they arrive. If there is no one home then they cannot be signed for and will not be delivered.

I am really only venting here, because it is done and I cannot change it. I will just have to wait to see what the end result is. So, I guess when breeders say, "Know your State Laws" , I guess that is true to everyone. Not just buyers.

So, I guess I am not panicking, I am just angry.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Will you be able to go straight over to the post office after work? Is there a neighbor that can sign for you?

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I have my nephew coming on Thursday to sit and wait for the mailman. This is ridiculous. I will not be repeating this adventure...

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I am sorry you are going thru this!! You can vent all you want! We will listen! This just really stinks! Please keep us updated on your turtles!!....and hang in there. (easier said then done huh?)

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Thanks everyone for their reassurance. I will keep everyone posted when I see my critters for the first time Thursday night. My nephew has a laundry list of things he needs to do when they get here. Ok, not a long list..but a list just the same. I am very fortunate that he has been here when I have been caring for my critters. He is my tort and turtle sitter when I am away travelling, so I trust that he will be mindful at what needs to be done. :) :tort:

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
don't worry it will be fine mine were on the road for 5 days.... I was so pissed about it as well, since it should be within one day. but they were all healthy and fine

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

mikeh

5 Year Member
Assure they are not left in the box somewhere on a porch in a direct sun, if you are not home. They will cook in couple hours. Otherwise they should be fine.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
That sounds suspicious to me!! I hope you get your tort soon and in good order, so you can put all this behind you!! What a TERRIBLE feeling, not knowing like that!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Unless things have changed: This is the law in NJ

§ 8:23-2.1 Sale or distribution of viable turtle eggs and live turtles
(a) Subject to, and except as otherwise provided at, 21 C.F.R. §1240.62, viable turtle eggs and live turtles with a carapace length of less than four inches shall not be sold, held for sale, or offered for any other type of commercial or public distribution.

(b) Live turtles of carapace length of four inches or greater shall not be sold or in any way distributed or offered for sale or distribution within the State unless the person or entity seeking to sell or distribute the turtles warrants to the satisfaction of the Department of Health and Senior Services that each shipment of turtles is free from Salmonella contamination.

( c) The Commissioner of Health and Senior Services, in his or her discretion, may waive the requirements of (b) above for live turtles sold or distributed within this State for the purposes of research, other zoological purposes, or for food.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well I better stay out of NJ . They don't like people like me with a lot of turtles and torts

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Okay, I am breathing a little better. I just spoke with the seller. Believe me, he is as upset about this as I am. He specifically told the person what was in the box and marked the box and explained that he wanted overnight service. It was not until he got home and looked at his paperwork after he read my email, that the turtles were not going to get here until Thursday.

He reassured me that he soaked them before they were boxed up and were not fed. Two good things since we now know what the trip is going to be like. I should know in a few hours when they are checked into their next sorting facility, if I might be able to get them tomorrow.

The closest major airport is Austin. So, if they get to Austin and are then delivered to my post office sometime in the afternoon...I might be able to get them. That is my plan anyway. I just have to keep checking for the sort scans.

I think the seller and I are on the same page and he is going back to the post office tomorrow to see why they was charged overnight, if the delivery is scheduled for two days. Not sure what they can get out of them except an apology...but we will see.

Thanks again for all the well wishes. I just wanted everyone to know that after talking to the seller, I am not blaming them..but the post office.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Well I hope you can pick them up earlier at least. Glad you found that stuff out also. :)

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Ok folks...here is an update. As suspected Turtles arrived in Austin this morning. At 2:45 I went to my post office in Georgetown to see if they had arrived for tomorrow's delivery. The Post Master took my phone number and told me there was a possibility that they could still be delivered today. When that didn't happen by 4 I called her back and she said she had a call into Austin to find the turtles. At 5 I got a call from Main PO in Austin who said for sn additional $10.95 I could pick them up there but they closed at 5:30. If I didn't pick them up they would be delivered as scheduled tomorrow. Well before I could call back my Post Master called and said she had found them and they would be on the next truck due instant 6;30. If I would meet her on the back **** at 6:30 I could get the turtles. I am already here and am waiting...so there is something about small town USA. Will post pictures as soon as I get them home and take care of them.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
DixieParadise said:
Unless things have changed: This is the law in NJ

§ 8:23-2.1 Sale or distribution of viable turtle eggs and live turtles
(a) Subject to, and except as otherwise provided at, 21 C.F.R. §1240.62, viable turtle eggs and live turtles with a carapace length of less than four inches shall not be sold, held for sale, or offered for any other type of commercial or public distribution.

(b) Live turtles of carapace length of four inches or greater shall not be sold or in any way distributed or offered for sale or distribution within the State unless the person or entity seeking to sell or distribute the turtles warrants to the satisfaction of the Department of Health and Senior Services that each shipment of turtles is free from Salmonella contamination.

( c) The Commissioner of Health and Senior Services, in his or her discretion, may waive the requirements of (b) above for live turtles sold or distributed within this State for the purposes of research, other zoological purposes, or for food.

From what I have read, this only applies to in state sales.

http://www.gardenstatetortoise.com/#!nj-turtle-laws/c1ovd

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I re-read that and think that is the nature of the law as well. My apologies to the great state of New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.