Should I separate my tortoises?

TaekwondoTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I´ve had two five-month old marginated tortoises for two weeks now, and I´ve been reading around the forum that keeping two tortoises together is problematic.
They do not appear to show any signs of agression: they sleep separately, sometimes bask together (close to each other or respecting their space, indifferently), and I soak them apart so they don´t get stressed. As far as I can tell, they are both eating (don´t always see them eat, as they often do so while I´m away, but the food is gone when I come back).
The only thing that I´m really worried about them living together, is that one, Clyde, spends most his time in his moist hide, either sleeping or pretending to do so, while Tae spends most of the day under the basking lamp.
Perhaps Tae is keeping Clyde away from the basking light? Or maybe some tortoises prefer not to bask all day? Perhaps Clyde is trying to hibernate?
Any light shed on the situation would be very much appreciated. I´ll be grateful for any advice.

M

Musa Nathan

I´ve had two five-month old marginated tortoises for two weeks now, and I´ve been reading around the forum that keeping two tortoises together is problematic.
They do not appear to show any signs of agression: they sleep separately, sometimes bask together (close to each other or respecting their space, indifferently), and I soak them apart so they don´t get stressed. As far as I can tell, they are both eating (don´t always see them eat, as they often do so while I´m away, but the food is gone when I come back).
The only thing that I´m really worried about them living together, is that one, Clyde, spends most his time in his moist hide, either sleeping or pretending to do so, while Tae spends most of the day under the basking lamp.
Perhaps Tae is keeping Clyde away from the basking light? Or maybe some tortoises prefer not to bask all day? Perhaps Clyde is trying to hibernate?
Any light shed on the situation would be very much appreciated. I´ll be grateful for any advice.

First thing is observation that they are not fighting or aggressive to each other...you need long observation to be sure...sometimes they can fight when you not there...check for injuries...
If that clear then you can keep them together.
The other things you mentioned could be caused by several issues...they can behavior different if sick or stressed...or even aggression...try to experiment with separately for a while & see if the one ones starts eating...ultimately see a Vet...

TaekwondoTortoise

Southern California
First thing is observation that they are not fighting or aggressive to each other...you need long observation to be sure...sometimes they can fight when you not there...check for injuries...
If that clear then you can keep them together.
The other things you mentioned could be caused by several issues...they can behavior different if sick or stressed...or even aggression...try to experiment with separately for a while & see if the one ones starts eating...ultimately see a Vet...
Thank you, I´ll separate them for a while, and if Clyde´s behaviour changes, I´ll attribute it to Tae´s influence.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Thank you, I´ll separate them for a while, and if Clyde´s behaviour changes, I´ll attribute it to Tae´s influence.
I think keeping them separate would be a good idea. Even if they don't show signs of aggression now, it may start one day when your not there. I believe that prevention is the best cure.