Should I take my tort to the vet?

Herman_WA

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I have heard some people take there torts to the vet just for a check up. Should I be doing this too? If so, would it have to be a special vet he would have to go to?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You're going to get different opinions on this, so it should be an interesting thread.

For me, the circumstances dictate the answer. I took my desert tortoise to an exotics vet for a wellness check, and was charged $340 !!! That's robbery! But it was good to hear that there weren't any stones growing in him or a parasite overload.

I now have a 2 year old Burmese star tortoise, and have no intention of taking him to a vet unless he gets sick. But I know he had good care before coming to me.

So I would say if you haven't had your tort very long, if you don't know what kind of care he got prior to you, if he's prone to bladder stones, is old, has probably never been to a vet...I think it's a good thing to do. But do go to an exotics vet, and be prepared for an exhorbitant cost.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I decided years ago that I wanted a relationship with a reliable exotics vet BEFORE something went wrong, so I researched and found one that sounded promising over the phone. I took my Russian in for a wellness exam and fecal test. The visit was for me to decide if he was knowledgeable, and how he would interact with me and my tortoise. Yes, it is more expensive than my other vet I take my dogs to, but I consider it an investment. I have gone over the years for beak trims and fecal tests, and never once did he suggest any kinds of vitamin shots or anything unnecessary. The biggest benefit is that I now have a relationship with a reputable vet in case I have an emergency. I’ve seen on this forum people scrambling to find a vet during an emergency only to be told they need to wait precious days until they can get an appointment.

Just my two cents worth...

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have heard some people take there torts to the vet just for a check up. Should I be doing this too? If so, would it have to be a special vet he would have to go to?
No, imo there is far better things you could waste your money on.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I wouldnt bother, my experience is Vets dont know that much about torts, even if they did, seeing one for a few minutes is unlikely to tell them anything you dont already know. I would only do it if the tort was ill.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
imp it is good to know who is good and where the location is before you need help. Other than that I guess it’s a personal choice.

Skip K

Virginia
If a tort was a wild caught specimen...the first thing I’d do is take it to an exotic vet for a checkup. If captive bred...and a baby...I’d check with the breeder about any questions first. With a older captive bred or a rehome...I’d simply observe it on a day to day basis and look for changes. You don’t need to be a experienced keeper to see things that are obviously wrong. If there is any question about the way an animal is acting...I’d take two steps...1. Check in with the knowledgeable people in this forum. 2. If recommended by the people in this forum or it’s obvious there is a problem...take it to the vet. Something to remember...it’s hard sometimes for even experienced people ...to accurately diagnose certain issues simply by descriptions or photos alone. But don’t hesitate if you see some you think is amiss. Reptiles are excellent at hiding illness till the situation is dire. Especially in young torts.

Last edited:

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thanks everyone for getting back to me! Really appreciate it! I'll see if I can at least find a good one near by just in case. Hope I'll never need one though......

Just please promise me you will come ask this forum first if you ever have a problem.
Don’t just go to a vet it has to be an EXOTIC vet and they sometimes are rare.
And whatever you do :
DO NOT GIVE THEM SHOTS!!!!!!!
Come here and ask first before agreeing to get any kind of shots!!!!
(Speaking from experience.)
If you listen to the advice on here I promise it will keep you away from doctors for a
VERY LONG time.
best wishes and good luck!??

Herman_WA

Washington
Just please promise me you will come ask this forum first if you ever have a problem.
Don’t just go to a vet it has to be an EXOTIC vet and they sometimes are rare.
And whatever you do :
DO NOT GIVE THEM SHOTS!!!!!!!
Come here and ask first before agreeing to get any kind of shots!!!!
(Speaking from experience.)
If you listen to the advice on here I promise it will keep you away from doctors for a
VERY LONG time.
best wishes and good luck!??
Thank you so much for your advice! I will be sure to always check in here for advice on his health! Thanks!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is an excellent place to keep up to date on correct tortoise care! So I agree that it would be good for you to keep us up to date on your tortoise before rushing off to a vet. Some vets are good with tortoises and some are most definitely not, and if you take the tortoise to the wrong vet it can cost you your tort's life.
How about some photos of your tortoise and setup? And some info on its diet, etc.?

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
First of all, part of being a responsible pet parent, is providing adequate care for your tort. No matter how much we know, there are always unusual events. For example, I had my little Russian, Derrick, for 7 years. I always got positive feedback on Der's care. He had a physical and worm check every year! He went to the vet as needed for beak and nail clipping. He saw the vet up to 3-4 times a year because when I went out of town I boarded him at the vet. But, he died 2 weeks ago, two months after a perfect physical. He had no symptoms of any stress. You owe it to your pet to give him/her the best care possible. If you had a baby you would not even question taking it to the pediatrician. Your tort deserves the same.

Herman_WA

Washington
I'm so sorry about what happened to your little tort. I will definitely see what I can do. I am always trying to do what is best for my little buddy even if it does mean talking him to the vet. Thank you so much for your comment.

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
No I don't. I am very sad. I was always checking his eyes, his nose. You know the usual tort parent things. You know, I've had many pet mice and rats. Only once did one die suddenly. I always had time to see the end coming, but not this. I don't think anyone knows what happened. When I found him, I tried to call my vet. But they had stopped doing tort care. I'd like to get another tortie, but am 64 years old. So am I ethically to old?

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
Obviously, I checked everything, his shell, etc. There was no sign of a respiratory infection or sepsis.

AZGirl

Arizona
Last year, I took my 5 yo DT to 2 vets. The first one did now know much abt tortoises, so 40 dollar waste, I guess. Next I took him to a reptile vet in town, who was able to open his mouth and examined and weighted him. This was right before he brumated. This year, I think he had a better warm season out of doors, ate more variety of foods and I felt more confident, so I did not take him. He seemed healthy and with the help of most wonderful and experienced folks here, soaked him regularly. He is sleeping now. I may take him in Spring when he wakes. He has not been xrayed for bladder stones.